Daylight vs Darkness?

Rescue 193

Does the game allow for the seasonal variation in daylight and darkness in the high northern latitudes?

I ask because I'm about to launch an attack on some bad guys in Iceland using some sneaky B-2s. Obviously, I'm sending them in at night but then I paused for thought (Yeah! unusual for me I know) because it doesn't get too dark for too long around Keflavik during August and, no matter how stealthy the aircraft may be, all that cool high tech wizardry doesn't count for much if my billion dollar bombers can be detected by a chap using MKI eyeballs!

So, is 'nighttime darkness' a set parameter in the game or does it vary as it does in the real world? And, while I'm on the do the hours of daylight/nighttime vary with respect to eastings and westings in scenarios, and here I'm thinking of the larger ones like the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans?  

Regards,

R193    

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think there is any code for visibility according to the lats and longs on the map.

If it is of any assistance, times of day for game purposes are broken down as follows:

2000 - 0400 hours, Night

0400 - 0900 hours, Morning (dawn/twilight)

0900 - 1600 hours, Day

1600 - 2000 hours, Evening (dusk/twilight)

Many thanks for your reply.

I was aware of the general times-of-day parameters you mentioned and I sort of assumed that they applied generally. But I was just a bit hazy about whether some sort of "seasonal/latitude" adjustment applied to the high northern latitudes so I thought I'd check in the hope of hearing from  "them wot noes" about such things.

I guess the rules work well enough between, say, the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn and for, say, 20 or 30 degrees, north and south. So they're fine as a general rule of thumb. But at 50 North (where I am) its  daylight at 2100hrs GMT through May to August but dark at by about 1600hrs from November through January and can't be denied that Midnight off the coast of Northern Norway (or Murmansk) in June is a fair bit brighter than it is in December and that daylight hours that time of year are a whole lot shorter than they are in June! The same goes for the 'low' southern latitudes of course but its not quite as relevant when fighting penguins and whales I suppose!

Maybe I should add it to my wish list but there are probably more pressing, and more important, things to deal with eh?

Anyhow, thanks for clarifying the matter for me, I appreciate it.

Regards,

R193 

3 hours ago, Rescue 193 said:

Many thanks for your reply.

I was aware of the general times-of-day parameters you mentioned and I sort of assumed that they applied generally. But I was just a bit hazy about whether some sort of "seasonal/latitude" adjustment applied to the high northern latitudes so I thought I'd check in the hope of hearing from  "them wot noes" about such things.

I guess the rules work well enough between, say, the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn and for, say, 20 or 30 degrees, north and south. So they're fine as a general rule of thumb. But at 50 North (where I am) its  daylight at 2100hrs GMT through May to August but dark at by about 1600hrs from November through January and can't be denied that Midnight off the coast of Northern Norway (or Murmansk) in June is a fair bit brighter than it is in December and that daylight hours that time of year are a whole lot shorter than they are in June! The same goes for the 'low' southern latitudes of course but its not quite as relevant when fighting penguins and whales I suppose!

Maybe I should add it to my wish list but there are probably more pressing, and more important, things to deal with eh?

Anyhow, thanks for clarifying the matter for me, I appreciate it.

Regards,

R193 

Given - for example - that there is no terrain model, I expect that we'll probably have to accept a lack of tilting of the Earth on its axis. ☺️

At least for awhile.

Hmm, modelling the seasonal affect on daylight would be a lot easier than modelling terrain.  I'd even welcome day/night changing by longitude before dreaming up too much fun for latitude.

If you get bored and stumble upon a source of the equations for day/night/dawn/dusk by date & lat/lon, that is something I could add to the game in a weekend.