Airwing Composition

TEPonta

I seem to recall that an old Harpoon manual (which I unfortunately no long can find) contained listings of typical airwing compositions for the various different CV types available in the game. I don't see this in the hard copy manual I just received with the game.

Such a listing would make scenario construction much easier, especially for a player who's not familiar with carrier ops.

Buddha

Looks good for modern US carriers. The old manual as I recall also contained listings for Russian, British, and French CV types. All this is no doubt available on the web somewhere, I just thought inclusion in the manual would be helpful. I don't doubt there are a few new players out there who don't realise that after putting a CV into a scenario, the Air Wing needs to be added manually. I do remember a few NavTag players in the old days who had just that problem, and wound up with carriers and no aircraft.

Buddha

The old manual as I recall also contained listings for Russian, British, and French CV types. All this is no doubt available on the web somewhere, I just thought inclusion in the manual would be helpful.

It might be helpful, keeping in mind that carrier air wings aren't generally universal, with a bit of mix and match going on between wings. What I'd really like to see would be a website (or other source) that shows the historical composition of ALL US Navy carrier air wings from WWII onward. B)

I don't doubt there are a few new players out there who don't realise that after putting a CV into a scenario, the Air Wing needs to be added manually. I do remember a few NavTag players in the old days who had just that problem, and wound up with carriers and no aircraft.

Buddha

Perhaps, but they would find out quickly (perhaps the hard way) that this wasn't the case. ;)

The old manual as I recall also contained listings for Russian, British, and French CV types. All this is no doubt available on the web somewhere, I just thought inclusion in the manual would be helpful.

It might be helpful, keeping in mind that carrier air wings aren't generally universal, with a bit of mix and match going on between wings. What I'd really like to see would be a website (or other source) that shows the historical composition of ALL US Navy carrier air wings from WWII onward. B)

I don't doubt there are a few new players out there who don't realise that after putting a CV into a scenario, the Air Wing needs to be added manually. I do remember a few NavTag players in the old days who had just that problem, and wound up with carriers and no aircraft.

Buddha

Perhaps, but they would find out quickly (perhaps the hard way) that this wasn't the case. ;)

They did indeed. And I believe it's much more embarassing with NavTag in front of all hands than to learn that lesson with Harpoon on your PC.

Buddha

I do still have those old manuals, will see about digging up a copy and typing them up as well.

I found the following in an old notebook. IIRC, I copied it from the old Harpoon manual as a reference. I can't swear to how up-to-date it is though:

Nimitz

24 - F-14A

24 - FA-18

12 - A-6

4 - KA-6

10 - S-3

5 - EA-6B

5 - E-2C

8 - SH-60F

Adm. Kuznetsov

18 - SU-27 Flanker

18 - MiG-29 Fulcrum

10 - KA-27 Helix ASW

4 - KA-27 Helix AEW

Kiev

18 - Yak 38 or Yak 141

8 - KA-27 Helix ASW

4 - Hormone B AEW

I believe the British and French CV's were in there as well, but I must not have written them down.

Buddha

I've posted a bit of an FAQ here:

US Navy Carrier Air Wings

Do you happen to have the numbers for each AC type? Before it was included in the DB, I built the Midway, since I served aboard her. Although I knew all the AC types, I was a little fuzzy on numbers of each. Someone with a long memory provided the data, but I can't remember who it was. It's probably easier for the current CV's.

Buddha

Do you happen to have the numbers for each AC type? Before it was included in the DB, I built the Midway, since I served aboard her. Although I knew all the AC types, I was a little fuzzy on numbers of each. Someone with a long memory provided the data, but I can't remember who it was. It's probably easier for the current CV's.

Buddha

It is easier, thanks in large part to better (and more) sources to choose from. For Midway, just prior to her departure from service, I believe it was:

3x F/A-18 Hornet sqns

1x mixed A-6E/KA-6D sqn

1x E-2C Hawkeye sqn

1x EA-6B Prowler sqn

1x SH-3H Sea King sqn

Numbers of aircraft among squadrons would have been roughly comparable to the current mix.

I found that I had saved all the old manuals on my older machine.

This .zip file has the Harpoon 97 manual.

That's it, right there in Appendix C, thanx. Quite a few other useful facts in that section as well, including the foriegn Navy loadouts I couldn't find my copies of. I usually remember A./C types OK, it's just the numbers I need a reference for.

Buddha

Buddha

It is easier, thanks in large part to better (and more) sources to choose from. For Midway, just prior to her departure from service, I believe it was:

3x F/A-18 Hornet sqns

1x mixed A-6E/KA-6D sqn

1x E-2C Hawkeye sqn

1x EA-6B Prowler sqn

1x SH-3H Sea King sqn

Numbers of aircraft among squadrons would have been roughly comparable to the current mix.

I was aboard during the F-4, A-6, A-7 days. I left before the F/A-18 made its appearance. I don't know how it ultimately turned out, but we were concerned by the fact that getting rid of the A-7s would cost us in tanker assets, as we used A-7 tankers quit a bit. I also see they finally got E-2C's. We had the B variant.

Buddha

Here are the relevant entries from the old Harpoon 97 manual regarding air wings:

Table C-5 USA: CV Forrestal

Number Class name Type

24 F-14A Tomcat Fighter

18 F/A-18 Hornet Attack

20 A-6E Intruder Bomber

10 S-3 Viking ASW

5 EA-6B Prowler AEW

5 E-2C Hawkeye AEW

6 SH-60F Oceanhawk ASW

Table C-6 USA: CVN Nimitz

Number Class name Type

24 F-14A Tomcat Fighter

24 F/A-18 Hornet Attack

12 A-6E Intruder Bomber

10 S-3 Viking ASW

5 EA-6B Prowler AEW

5 E-2C Hawkeye AEW

8 SH-60F Oceanhawk ASW

Table C-7 UK: CVH Invincible

Number Class name Type

8 Sea Harrier FRS.2 Attack

9 Sea King HAS.5 ASW

3 Sea King AEW.2 AEW

Table C-8 France: CV Clemenceau

Number Class name Type

16 Super Etendard Attack

10 F-8E(FN) Crusader Fighter

8 Alize ASW

2 SA.321G Sup Frelon ASW

2 Lynx Mk4 Naval

Table C-9 France: CVH Jeanne d’Arc

Number Class name Type

8 Lynx Mk4 Naval

Table C-10 Spain: CVH Principe de Asturias

Number Class name Type

8 Matador AV-8B Attack

6 SH-3D Sea King ASW

3 SH-3 AEW AEW

4 AB-212ASW ASW

Table C-11 USSR: CVHG Baku

Number Class name Type

13 Yak-38 Forger Attack

14 Ka-27 Helix A ASW

3 Ka-25 Hormone B Search

I hope this helps anyone building a scenario who doesn't have it. I can't find it in the manual that came with HCE.

Buddha