Problem using HCE platform editor

Smitty

Sorry for the delay, took me a while to earmark some time and just re-found Access 2000 on Windows 7.  I'll be taking a look in the next 24 hours and will probably end up asking you for more information.  From your screenshot my first suspect is that somewhere along the line I made some PE edits with a newer version of Access which updated the base dependencies leaving Access 2000 up a creek.

Well that's curious.  Here on Win 7 x64 Pro patched up to current with Office 2000 Pro Plus patched as far as Windows update takes it (MS Access 14.0.7214.5000 32-bit) using the 2015.027 version of the PE, it fires up just fine and I can import HCDB-150928 without any issues and even added a new aircraft for good measure. 

Can you zip up your pfBuild2005.mdb and pfData2005.mdb files and upload the zip file at https://harpgamer.com/HC20/upload.php  ?  It won't recreate your whole environment but at least gives a better chance at seeing what you are seeing. 

Hi Tony,

Thanks for looking into this. Some thoughts...

1. I uploaded the files as you requested.

2. It occurred to me last night that maybe I had corrupted the data base files in some manner. I went back and grabbed the original data base files ( I think ) and tried again. Same error problem.

3. The error appears to be in Visual Basic. Because my OFFICE is so old, I haven't upgraded it. However, OFFICE uses VBA and Microsoft may have upgraded VBA during some Windows upgrade. I assume ACCESS uses VBA to build forms for the HARPOON database.

4. I tried downloading and using ACCESS run time. However, it would not allow me, since I already had ACCESS installed. I can't uninstall ACCESS by itself. I have to uninstall OFFICE in total, and I hesitate to do this, as I use other OFFICE components. I could uninstall OFFICE and then try and reinstall OFFICE with only the other components that I use ( assuming the install procedure allows me that option ).  I could then, presumably, use ACCESS run time. If you think this might be productive, I'll give it a try.  

Thanks again.

Gene Smith

Gene, with your files on my Win 7 with Office/Access 2000 machine the PE opened just fine.  That version of the PE was built for Access 97.  Do you get any prompts when you first open the PE about converting the file to the current Access version?  You should, if you don't, run the RestPE.bat file in your game directory to get a fresh copy again.  It just copies the files from the PE.bak directory to your main game directory.

Then when you open the PE hopefully you'll be prompted to convert.  Answer "No" to leave the file in Access 97 format.  Then you should get a yellow macro warning bar.  You have to click "Enable Macros" for the PE to work.  From there the PE should start doing its thing, linking to the pfData file after which you can continue on with importing the HC database.

Any luck?

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your help. First, the REST_PE.bat file didn't copy the file... some issue about paths. I copied the files over myself.  When I ran the PE,  I was given a choice of OPEN THE DATABASE or CONVERT THE DATABASE. I tried both, and  got the following message in both cases...

" There were compilation errors during the conversion or enabling of this database. "  When I hit the OK button, I got the same VISUAL BASIC error as originally.

I tried uninstalling OFFICE and reinstalling... no joy. I uninstalled OFFIVE; reinstalled without ACCESS; and installed ACCESS runtime 2013 (64 bit)... no joy. I very much suspect that my VBA libraries have been corrupted or un-attached. I have done some research on this, but so far no luck.

I think I will try and uninstall OFFICE and install ACCESS runtime 2013 without OFFICE. For my OFFICE needs, I can switch over to GOOGLE DOCS and SHEETS.

Again, thanks for your help

Gene

Those were some extreme measures!  Is your intent to edit databases or just view them?

The version of the PE you are using will not work correctly with 64-bit versions of Access.  Windows can be 64-bit but not Access.  Newer PEs do but not the version you are using.

Hi Tony,

With the 32-bit comment in mind, I got things working ... sort of

I uninstalled OFFICE and then installed ACCESS run time 32-bit. It turns out I have 2 versions of Harpoon on my HD. The version I have been using is ID'ed as HCE and uses the 16-bit SE. The other version is from Matrix and is ID'ed as HUCE and has been upgraded to HC2017.009. I decided not to start using that because it had an expiration date that I was worried about. The ACCESS runtime seemed to work with the HUCE version of the data base, but not the HCE version. If I copy the HUCE database over to HCE the GE and SE work fine ,but the ACCESS runtime will only edit them in the HUCE folder ( not when I try to open them in the HCE folder.

At this point I think I will install another version from the MATRIX disk and update to HC2018,002 + .011 and see how everything goes.

Thanks for your help

Gene