Naval Boardgames

Silent Hunter UK

Harpoon Captain's Edition

<I have some more at home, will post if I remember>

Not sure Captain's Edition would make the cut. It was advertised as taking 30 minutes to get up and running - "Start Playing in 30 Minutes"! - and then taking 90 minutes to play. :D

Harpoon Captain's Edition

Not sure Captain's Edition would make the cut. It was advertised as taking 30 minutes to get up and running - "Start Playing in 30 Minutes"! - and then taking 90 minutes to play. :D

Hehe, I'm confident it goes faster once you've played once or twice :)

Red Banner was the other one at the ready, http://web.archive.org/web/20050312115136/www.jenruss.plus.com/mad/rules/RedBanner.html

True enough, though experience generally dictates that you are either playing with a noob or haven't played it in such a long time that you need to learn it all over again.

True enough, though experience generally dictates that you are either playing with a noob or haven't played it in such a long time that you need to learn it all over again.

lol and cry at the same time; too true.

I could never figure out why a Sovremenny has 8 missile points (and carries 8 actual missiles) but US ships with 8 Harpoon missiles only get 4 missile points.

If I were coming up with the numbers that doesn't seem entirely out of line. Sovremenny SSMs roughly twice the range, a little under double the explosive, about 8 times the total mass, and buckets faster than Harpoon.

The greater speed of the Sunburn missiles would definitely make shooting them down harder, so perhaps the greater missile points are a way of compensating for that. I disagree on the damage, though (45 vs. 60). Maybe the problem is trying to generalize everything down to points rather than using individual and unique weapon characteristics. Something has to get sacrificed.