Launching weapons on base of visual sighting

Steve Caruthers

Sorry guys, but, as I go along trying to play a scenario, I get a lot of doubts.

One is this:

SITUATION: A frigate launched a helicopter that has no radar. An enemy ship (small) is about 70 nm. distance. From altitude of 900 m. (low) helicopter (in optimal weather conditions) has a visual LOS (med alt vs. small ship) of 79 nm.

Question 1: being the enemy ship in the visual LOS of Helo, is the mutual visual detection automatic, or we have to roll a die?

Question 2: assuming that the helicopter has spotted the ship, is able to communicate the exact location to its mother ship, so that she can, for example, launch Harpoons? Or we need to wait until the ship has its own radar detection to launch?

So in general, a missile or guided weapon, can be launched on the basis of a visual sighting?

Thank you, Steve.

In relation to my previous post, I apologize but I realized I had made a mistake, talking about the SITUATION. In fact, the maximum distance that an aircraft can sight a ship, is not that of vuisual LOS, but is equal to the speed of the ship itself, with a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 35 nm.

But the questions nr. 1 and 2, however, remain valid.

Thanks, Steve

Question 1: being the enemy ship in the visual LOS of Helo, is the mutual visual detection automatic, or we have to roll a die?

The visual sighting isn't mutual, but it is automatic. That is, taking into account the modifiers (like weather) and optional rules like visibility variation (4.5.6).

Question 2: assuming that the helicopter has spotted the ship, is able to communicate the exact location to its mother ship, so that she can, for example, launch Harpoons? Or we need to wait until the ship has its own radar detection to launch?

So in general, a missile or guided weapon, can be launched on the basis of a visual sighting?

Yes, if you have a location for the target (bearing and range, whether determined by an offboard platform like a helo or the launch platform itself), you can launch a weapon that has an inertial guidance phase, e.g. Harpoon.