Unguided weapons attack resolution

Steve Caruthers

Hi, boys, I have a question for you.

Apart from the fact that I am referring to Harpoon 3 edition by GDW, Date Annex 1991, whose rules may be a little different from those of Harpoon 4, I would like to ask you a couple of explanations on aspects that I have not fully understood.

1) - How do you solve an attack with unguided bombs.

I read in the manual that "to attack with aircraft cannon, unguided rockets and bombs, an aircraft must fly directly over the target at low altitude". And this is clear.

"Unguided bombs may be dropped to medium altitude, subject to a modifier equal to the target's speed in knots (kts = eg 27 - 27%) or a minimum of -10%."

So, first, if the plane must fly over the target at low altitude, how is possible to drop bombs from Medium? That I think, carrying bombs you CAN fly also at medium altitude (obviously with modifiers), while carrying for example, rockets, you MUST fly Low.

Now we come to these modifiers.

The bombs have obviously a very low Ph, typically from 0.15 to 0.30.

If with a bomb which has a pH of 0.15 I attack a ship going to 27 kts, it remains a Ph (15-27) of -12% (??) but it cannot be negative, at most equal to zero, but if it was equal zero is useless to attack ...

Maybe there is something that escapes me, otherwise I cannot understand.

2) - Once the bomb hit, do we applies all his Point Damage to the ship or, as in the case of the rockets, calculate the percentage of damage. For example, if if a bomb with a DP of 150 hits the target, inflicts definitely 150 DP damage, or possibly less, due to other calculations.

Thank you for the moment, Steve.

Another example.

A ship is attacked by a missile Penguin Mk.2 very hard to shot down because Vsmall and Vlow flying.

The last chanche is the defense point, entrusted to a Rh202 20mm / 80 that has an Air Pk of 20%.

When I go to calculate modifiers I think of having to apply -10% for very small target and -15% for very low, because this weapon is not equipped for the seaskimmer-targets.

So: 20 - 10 -15 = - 5%

So can not shoot?

But if it is so, tell immediately in Annex C: "Not capable vs. seaskimmers and very small targets", so let's not waste time doing all the calculations for checking the final Pk !

Or something wrong?

Thanks, Steve.

As I said in the beginning, I am referring to Harpoon paper rules 3, but more generally (not sure if it can also happen in H 4.1...) to a situation in which the Ph or Pk of a weapon, as a result of negative modifiers, falls below zero.
How do you deal?
Is it possible to adopt a rule, according to which, however, must be left a minimum chanche hitting?
For example, minimum 1% or 5% ?

Thank, Steve.

As I said in the beginning, I am referring to Harpoon paper rules 3, but more generally (not sure if it can also happen in H 4.1...) to a situation in which the Ph or Pk of a weapon, as a result of negative modifiers, falls below zero. How do you deal? Is it possible to adopt a rule, according to which, however, must be left a minimum chanche hitting? For example, minimum 1% or 5% ? Thank, Steve.

Speaking only for H4.1, per 6.4.1.1, talking about air defense gun hit chance modifiers, it says:

sea skimming targets (in the Vlow altitude band), reduce hit chance by 1/2, unless the gun system is listed as "sea skimmer capable"

and

Minimum hit chance is 0.01

This sounds correct.

Evidently with H 4.1 they fixed the bug present in H 3.

Also, I think to adopt this change in H3, so that:

- Initial Gun Ph = 20%

Modifiers in this order:

- Vsmall target = -10% (20-10 = 10%)

- Seaskimmer target 1/2 (10/2 = 5%)

Final pH = 5%

However, it must be always positive, with a minimum of 1%.

OK, thanks CV32

Steve.