An anomaly of over-water radar signature, a bug, or what?

yojimboguy

I have encountered a situation where lowering my plane group altitude from Low to Vlow results in an immediate warning that my planes are detectable and that I should turn on my radar.

I inadvertently have a near perfect example in a saved game. I was concerned that going to Vlow might crash planes from pilot error, so I saved the game before doing it.

I would upload it as an attachment here, but the forum tells me I am not allowed to upload a file of this type -- it is "autosave.hpq". So I had to cheat a bit to get past your security. If you get rid of the " - Copy" part of the filename and change the file extension from "txt" to "hpq", it should work and you'll be able to repeat the occurrence immediately upon entering the game.

A little more detail that makes the problem unambiguous. There are 3 Blue parallel fighter groups, AIA, AJA, and AKA, all flying north. Select any one of them, lower the altitude, and see the warning message. I thought for a bit they were all reaching a threshold at the same time, but no, the warnings appear explicitly attached to the action. Don't lower the altitude, and the warnings don't appear for any of the groups. They appear immediately after the altitude any group is lowered, specifically addressing that group.

The reason I mentioned "over water" was a question as to whether the surface the planes fly over has any influence on how detectable they are at various altitudes. In this game, all 3 groups are over water.

FYI, this game started as scenario #10 in WestPac, "The Back Yard II". It is simply a saved game version of it, less than a half hour into it by the game time clock.

autosave - Copy.txt