Question about Air gunnery for WWII DB

mavfin

I'm at least thinking about recreating a WWII carrier battle and/or raid or two, perhaps starting with something like the Battle of Eastern Solomons, or perhaps doing a surface battle like Savo if the Long Lances and CA/CL/DD gunnery are working properly. Something like the Turkey Shoot could also be interesting. A huge air battle with no OTH missiles, just fighter and ship guns, biggest ordnance being 5"/38s on the BBs?

I remember in the Issue Tracker, there being some issues with air and surface gunnery in WWIi type scenarios. Since the Issue Tracker seems to not have the older issues since the site revamp, did those issues get fixed, or can someone remind me of the nature of them if they're not fixed?

Any info would be welcome, or steerage to Issue Tracker archives. :D

I can't remember how that panned out but I think there were still issues but great improvements. From memory it sounded unlikely that significant further improvements could be obtained.

I wrote a few scenarios for the HCWW database in the Westpac battleset such as this one:

WWIIscenario

Taking that for a spin might give you a quick idea of how the current GE is doing?

My best recollection is that you have to be careful you're not getting pummelled with gunnery as you don't get normal warning from the staff assistant but that otherwise it was OK (as in not brilliant but quite useable)

For me the air-to-air gunnery is also full usable. The only minor issue I remember is in some interceptions with only guns the fighters heading 000 and not in direction of the intercepted planes, but I think it's also solved now. Other issue is the very high value PH/PK of some air-to-air and ground-to-air guns, but in the later iterations of the DB Brad has reduced both.

mavfin, migrating the 'legacy' issues into the newer version hasn't exactly been a high priority for me (not fun and very time consuming). I think I can hack together a page or two that lists them though. It may be a while but I'll get a start on it.

mavfin, migrating the 'legacy' issues into the newer version hasn't exactly been a high priority for me (not fun and very time consuming). I think I can hack together a page or two that lists them though. It may be a while but I'll get a start on it.

I wouldn't move mountains on that for my curiousity. I can run a few of the already-made WWII scenarios and find most of them. :D

An early start of a list of issues from the old issue tracker, http://harpgamer.com/issuetracker_old/issue_list.php

Yeah, defect 200 is still alive in 2009.076, whether I use GIUK original, or EC2003 with CDB.

(It's on the Tracker.)

I'm ginning up another test scenario related to the AI being able to fire SAMs in SSM mode, but the player never gets the option. (Never mind about this. Seems to only be an 'old DB' issue. CDB Scenario can't duplicate.)

Sometimes in the DB SAM SSM capables are not flagged as SSM capables to avoid the AI depleted it against secondary surface taegets

Well, even in the CDB the Oslo class has Sea Sparrows that Display says are SURF capable...but it won't fire them unless there are air targets. GIUK will, though, as well as the Juno's (Leander) Seacats. Maybe they're flagged such in the CDB so they can't fire in SSM mode, even if Platform Display gives them a Surface range?

If the AI can't fire them in SSM mode in the CDB, then I'm fine not using them myself, and that was the result of my testing. I pulled a Missouri in visual range of an Oslo/Leander pair, absorbed the Exocets and Penguins, then got into gun range. In GIUK, they'd both empty their SAM magazines at me. CDB they did not. (Used a Missouri for easy to see target, and shrug off missiles.)

TL;DR: If it's something done for both sides, I'm fine with it.

Sometimes in the DB SAM SSM capables are not flagged as SSM capables to avoid the AI depleted it against secondary surface taegets

Well, even in the CDB the Oslo class has Sea Sparrows that Display says are SURF capable...but it won't fire them unless there are air targets. GIUK will, though, as well as the Juno's (Leander) Seacats. Maybe they're flagged such in the CDB so they can't fire in SSM mode, even if Platform Display gives them a Surface range? If the AI can't fire them in SSM mode in the CDB, then I'm fine not using them myself, and that was the result of my testing. I pulled a Missouri in visual range of an Oslo/Leander pair, absorbed the Exocets and Penguins, then got into gun range. In GIUK, they'd both empty their SAM magazines at me. CDB they did not. (Used a Missouri for easy to see target, and shrug off missiles.) TL;DR: If it's something done for both sides, I'm fine with it.

If you mean the HCDB (I don't know what the CDB is), then I can confirm that while some surface-to-air/surface-to-surface capable missiles (such as Seasparrow) do have a surface-to-surface range value, they intentionally lack a surface capable flag. This is because the AI has a nasty habit of bombarding you with those missiles, using them up when they might be more valuable held back in the surface-to-air role. You have observed this behaviour.

Well, even in the CDB the Oslo class has Sea Sparrows that Display says are SURF capable...but it won't fire them unless there are air targets. GIUK will, though, as well as the Juno's (Leander) Seacats. Maybe they're flagged such in the CDB so they can't fire in SSM mode, even if Platform Display gives them a Surface range? If the AI can't fire them in SSM mode in the CDB, then I'm fine not using them myself, and that was the result of my testing. I pulled a Missouri in visual range of an Oslo/Leander pair, absorbed the Exocets and Penguins, then got into gun range. In GIUK, they'd both empty their SAM magazines at me. CDB they did not. (Used a Missouri for easy to see target, and shrug off missiles.) TL;DR: If it's something done for both sides, I'm fine with it.

If you mean the HCDB (I don't know what the CDB is), then I can confirm that while some surface-to-air/surface-to-surface capable missiles (such as Seasparrow) do have a surface-to-surface range value, they intentionally lack a surface capable flag. This is because the AI has a nasty habit of bombarding you with those missiles, using them up when they might be more valuable held back in the surface-to-air role. You have observed this behaviour.

Yes, CDB = HCDB, sorry. Ah, very good. Thing is, the GE doesn't seem to give me the opportunity to fire them anyway in the old DBs that allow it, while the AI gets to do so. However, since it's confined to the old embedded DBs, I'm fine with that. :D