Error Report...Mk112 ASROC

Mgellis

Not sure if this is a database error or something else...

MK112 ASROC will "fire"--it notes a decrease in weapons in the MK112, but no torpedo appears on the screen to indicate that a weapon has actually fired. "Fired" all 8 from one ship at a nearby submarine and they never a) appeared or B) appeared to do anything.

Tested with a DD 151 Asigiri

Mark

Related to this, I checked the ASROCs with a few other ships. They either do not fire at all (Mk 16 mod 1 and Mk 16 mod 2) or they expend torpedoes but the torpedoes never show up as anything on the screen and do not do any damage to their targets (Mk 112).

I recommend a complete review of any ASROC-like weapon...if they're using the same basic principles, data, database entries, etc., they may have share the same problem(s). I don't know if there are any others besides these three, the two Mk 16s and the Mk 112, but these three are definitely FUBAR right now. :) And, unfortunately, the error would have to show up on a weapon that was put on a lot of American ships, so it could have an impact on gameplay in a number of scenarios.

The VLS version of the ASROC (on the later Spruances, etc.) does not seem to have the problem--the torpedoes work and sink subs when I test them--but I'd review them anyway to be on the safe side. I might be missing something.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I've found the issue. It's not in the weapons, but in the communications. Asroc has a comm called "Asroc WDL" that has a corresponding "Asroc CDL" on the ships. This means I will have to check all ships with Asroc mounts.

FG

Sorry for the extra work, Gunny! But I suppose it's better someone finds it now than after a big release. I know you were thinking about doing a regular, scheduled release of betas so people could have the newest fixes, etc. more quickly, like once every month or something...any more thoughts on that?

No extra work... I've checked all ships using the Asroc mount. 42 in total. Most of them had no Asroc CDL as a comm, so it meant most would have been able to guide Asroc to its target. I dunno if you ever used Asroc in Harpoon, but if answer is no, then don't be surprised to see at first a missile icon that will turn then into a torpedo icon. An other thing I recommend is to have the AALog option turned "on". Sometimes, a "weapon status" file is generated, it explains which was the outcome of a weapon's use (hit, missed, ran out of fuel...). Useful to know if torpedoes really hit a target or get decoyed.

FG

Mark,

I forgot to reply the 2nd part of your message. My plans are fairly simple: So far, we wait Matrix's decision to release 3.11, with HUD 1.1. Then, shortly after, I'll release HUD4 1.11 on which I'm currently working on. The releases will be rather frequent, but it will depend on my RL workload, and I expect it to be heavy from Monday until February, since I'm spearheading financial reforms in 3 different teaching complexes.

FG

No extra work... I've checked all ships using the Asroc mount. 42 in total. Most of them had no Asroc CDL as a comm, so it meant most would have been able to guide Asroc to its target. I dunno if you ever used Asroc in Harpoon, but if answer is no, then don't be surprised to see at first a missile icon that will turn then into a torpedo icon. An other thing I recommend is to have the AALog option turned "on". Sometimes, a "weapon status" file is generated, it explains which was the outcome of a weapon's use (hit, missed, ran out of fuel...). Useful to know if torpedoes really hit a target or get decoyed.

FG

Yes, I checked a bunch of them and none of them could fire their ASROCs (or they were expended but never showed up as missiles, torpedoes, or anything else, and never did anything). So adding the CDL as a comm should fix the problem? Okay. Good to know.

Thanks again for all your work on this.

Mark

You may have checked this already, but I noticed the RUM-139 ASROCs did not operate properly, either--the ones you can load into the VLS system on the Burke and the Ticos, although it may be the VLS system (the Mk 41, I think) and not the torpedoes themselves. I could not get them to fire; they also said they were out of range, even though they were within only a few miles of the sub. CDL error with them, too?

This is a sneaky error because you probably wouldn't notice it unless you changed the default loadouts on the MK41...the Ticos and Burkes don't seem to normally have the torpedoes loaded but are capable of carrying them. I swapped out some SAMS and put in some ASROCS in the scenario I'm working on now (with a 2005+ Tico and a Flight IIA Burke) because I'm sending these ships into an area where a submarine is known to be on patrol, so I figured it would make sense to do this. That's when I noticed the problem.

Excellent! Thanks again for all your work on this. I can't wait to try the revised platforms and all the new platforms out...I'm hoping Matrix releases ANW 3.11 soon (or that you just break down and post "beta 12"--or whatever the number is--here on harpgamer).

Mark,

I know how impatient people can be. But I can't publish HUD4 v1.11 on which I work on a daily basis before Matrix decides to publish 3.11 and the associated HUD4 v1.1. I can hand 1.11 to AGSI, but I'm sure it would delay 3.11. So honestly, I can't post 1.11 here at harpgamer now. But it will be worth being waited for.

FG

Mark,

I know how impatient people can be. But I can't publish HUD4 v1.11 on which I work on a daily basis before Matrix decides to publish 3.11 and the associated HUD4 v1.1. I can hand 1.11 to AGSI, but I'm sure it would delay 3.11. So honestly, I can't post 1.11 here at harpgamer now. But it will be worth being waited for.

FG

I understand. I'm just eager to see it. :) I wish Matrix would release 3.11 already. :)