Fighters Anthology

TonyE

After a few years of trying on and off, CV32 and myself finally met with success in establishing a multiplayer mission.

For those of you who don't know, Fighters Anthology was one of the Janes' branded flight sims from Electronic Arts. It combined US Navy Fighters, Marine Fighters, ATF (Advanced Tactical Fighters), bug fixes, and new stuff. What that lineage means, is crappy graphics even for 1998 when it was released. But on the up side, tons of flyable planes, more missions than you can shake a stick at, and some pretty good stability. It is without a doubt my favorite flight sim since I can pick it up for a few minutes, have fun, then go on with my day. It doesn't have the complexity of Falcon, or F-15 that makes the games at times difficult to enjoy (though sometimes you are just in a Lock-On mood, no matter how long it takes to figure out how to lock up a target).

One great feature of FA is Airbase Assault multiplayer mode where you and your friends try to destroy the airbase of a bunch of other players (or at least kill their planes). It was one of those rare moments of balance just working out (imho of course). You could succeed by stealthily flying a B-2 to the opposing base and raising cane just as well as flying an F-15E and fighting your way in.

Only thru the genius of some hacker can we play FA today thru NAT boxes. See http://www.vnfawing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2631 for details and the tool.

A few sites (yes, the game still has an active mod community, how crazy is that!):

FARC http://farc.3synergy.net/

The Training Room (not all that useful) http://www.geocities.com/zolos_fa/

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Realm/7194/fa.htm

Find the two decent cheats here http://razor-tac169th.tripod.com/

System Requirements:

Pretty much anything run Win98 or newer. Right now I run the game on a Core 2 Due notebook running Vista and a 1.2GHz notebook running WinXP SP2 (this one has been used for the multiplayer games).

Anyone who wants to join in and needs help, drop a line.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my first kill, albeit a recon drone. :unsure:

joystick controls are a big sensative at the moment...sure I will become used to it. Looks like fun, with a lot of potential amongst the FA'ers here.

That's good news, Pete. Anxiously awaiting yours and Brains' joining the HarpGamer Squadron. :D

Not so fast, looks like I will need to be talked onto the target with regards to the most recent patch. Also, getting onto multi-player. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. In online games that be me. :D

Tonight we welcomed pmaidhof to the multiplayer arena. Once his jammed right rudder was fixed things looked up. Now if we can get the Brains into the action we'll be sitting fairly pretty!

Tonight we welcomed pmaidhof to the multiplayer arena. Once his jammed right rudder was fixed things looked up. Now if we can get the Brains into the action we'll be sitting fairly pretty!

Now that the rudder is fixed, you guys need to stay with me or teach me to use radar and other neat tools. In the end Brad informed me of the keystroke to "lock-on" to a target, so hopefully I now have a reason to stay close and engage badguys.

As it was, while marching to the beat of my own drum, I was dodging SA-2's, taking out SAM sites with mavericks and in one instance an AIM-120, then on the deck strafing villages, and taking flak when I flew over a city.

Brains, drop the paint brush, and back away.

Fun program despite being long in the tooth.

Played a couple of cooperative missions with Brain, Tony, and Brad. I was a dead weight on them most of the time. :D Got to watch Brains and Brad running strike after strike on an airfield as I sat in a hide position waiting for CSAR.

Later 2 vs 2 furballs, good time had by all, think I even got a kill that time. :lol:

I definitely need some practice.

Thanks for the multiplayer time guys B)

I did some testing after the 2 v 2 furball and found that the F/A-18C stands almost zero chance against the F-16C that Brains was flying. We'll have to balance planes out a little better for the next furball.

Thanks for the multiplayer time guys B)

I did some testing after the 2 v 2 furball and found that the F/A-18C stands almost zero chance against the F-16C that Brains was flying. We'll have to balance planes out a little better for the next furball.

And I thought it was simply Just Me! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hmm where **IS** that disk.

Major "Gunfighter" Pappystein Reporting for duty... err wait need the disks first....

ARGH!

PS from my Online Squadron days (VF-477 Stormraiders) I highly suggest either the VarkLib or the 714thLib files for realisim.

Damn, I am gonna need to dust (literaly) my sticks off. Didn't think you could Online FA anymore!

Craig P

PS don't be supprised if I BOMB up for an AIr to Air mission :)

Pete, if I can get up and running I can run you through the training program we used in the 477th (after all I wrote the dang thing!) I think I still had the all time Kill to loss ratio vs Human pilots with guns in the squadron. And no I was not flying the F-22, X-29 or Harrier/AVSTOL at the time either (or any other Hyper manoverable aircraft) I was generally flying the A-4 or the F-15E :)

Not sure what happened. Most everyone was eager to play. Lets set a time that works for the majority and "fly".

Pete