Australian Committee hears details of F-35 performance in [Harpoon3 MilSim] wargame

From Defense Aerospace

[excerpt]

Australian Committee Hearing Reveals Details of F-35 Performance in Wargame

(Source: Defense-Aerospace.com; posted March 6, 2012)

PARIS --- The Australian Parliament’s Joint Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade has just released a transcript of a Feb. 7, 2012 hearing during which it took evidence on the F-35 program by noted opponents of the program, representing the Air Power Australia think-tank and a private computer simulation firm, RepSim Pty Ltd.

Part of the hearing describes the outcome of a famous – but disputed – simulation of F-18E and F-35 fighters engaging in combat against Chinese air force fighters carried out by the Rand Corporation. The outcome is even more disastrous for the Western fighters than previously reported.

Link to Parliamentary Joint Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade - 07/02/2012 - Department of Defence annual report 2010-11 (PDF)

CV32: Note that AGSI's Harpoon 3 (H3) MilSim was the simulation used! B)

• 4 weeks later...
Part of the hearing describes the outcome of a famous – but disputed – simulation of F-18E and F-35 fighters engaging in combat against Chinese air force fighters carried out by the Rand Corporation. The outcome is even more disastrous for the Western fighters than previously reported.

Some very dodgy simulations run there by that Air Power Australia group. Remember when they were lobbying for the F-111's, they had one sim with the 111's with full AWACS and Tanker support and little opposition and of course the F-111's obliterated the target, and then ran it again with Hornets. This time with no tankers (so they cut the numbers in half because they needed buddy tanking), no AWACS, and put up swarms of modern Russian jets that the Indonesians would be lucky to get in the air. Of course they got massacred.

Some very dodgy simulations run there by that Air Power Australia group. Remember when they were lobbying for the F-111's, they had one sim with the 111's with full AWACS and Tanker support and little opposition and of course the F-111's obliterated the target, and then ran it again with Hornets. This time with no tankers (so they cut the numbers in half because they needed buddy tanking), no AWACS, and put up swarms of modern Russian jets that the Indonesians would be lucky to get in the air. Of course they got massacred.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't advocate taking the result or anything stated by APA at face value.

I posted the article because its interesting to see a sim like Harpoon (especially Harpoon) play a role in such a hotbed political issue.

In late May I will do a presentation of a paper about 30 years after the Falklands/Malvinas WAR. The presentation will be supported probably by some Harpoon graphics (itks not the first time I will mention Harpoon in an academic paper). I will mention also this use in the Austrealian parlament, and my Pooner 2011 award ... ;)