US Navy document plans carrier air wings' future

CV32

From DefenseNews

[excerpt]

U.S. Navy Document Plans Carrier Air Wings’ Future

Jan. 19, 2012

By DAVE MAJUMDAR

The U.S. Navy’s carrier air wings of tomorrow will look very different from today’s, according to a new document produced by the sea services.

Link to the document Naval Aviation Vision, January 2012 (PDF)

Update to the Carrier air wings thread in the FAQ subforum includes details of the future USN air wings and USMC aviation combat elements.

That sounds a tad optimistic, given the American budgetary environment for the next while ... :(

Maybe with some of the fancier toys, but much of the projected air wing is already here.

As far as the budgetary woes go, I am a tad skeptical of the 'doom and gloom' predicitions of the future for the US DoD budget.

I figure about the only thing to truly threaten the US DoD budget is world peace, and I don't see that breaking out anytime soon.

From DefenseNews

[excerpt]

U.S. Won’t Cut Carrier Fleet Below 11: SecDef

Jan. 22, 2012 - 10:49AM

By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

ABOARD THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS ENTERPRISE — Pentagon budget cuts will not threaten the U.S. aircraft carrier fleet and the U.S. Navy plans to keep 11 afloat, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Jan. 21.

Nice pub. I agree with Warhorse - color me skeptical.

Any particular component?

If we're talking an F/A-18E/F "replacement", a C-2 Greyhound/COD "replacement", an EA-18G "replacement", or UCLASS, i.e. what I call the "fancier toys", then yes, I'm in the skeptical group too.

Most of these seem to be rather ill defined at this point, and are probably way out there in the timeline.

The plan to replace COD seems like it has been going on forever. And, with the E-2D coming onstream, I expect that this really only gets worse as no one likely wants to fund a new sole purpose platform.

With the exception of the F-35C, which some might be inclined to toss in with the rest just mentioned, then we already see the F/A-18E/F, EA-18G, E-2D, and MH-60R/S.

Everythiny outside of the current five-year "foreseeable" radar picture. Although its nice to plan for the future, the US Navy needs to survive the years of the axe, before prognosticating about they fancy toys on their Christmas list.

I wouldn't expect them not to 'prognosticate'.

The document was called a "vision", after all. :P

And I see this in the foreword:

Providing resources to fulfill this strategy poses a considerable challenge given the budgetary pressures imposed by America’s budget deficit and rising debt.

A 'considerable challenge'? I expect so.