Ship Data Forms 101

pmaidhof

While attempting to fill in an H4.1 ship data form, I've run into a brain-freeze. I was trying to replicate the O.H. Perry example found on page 2-4 of the H4.1 Rulebook.

A Mk75 76mm Naval Gun in Air Defense mode has a 3.5nm Air Range, 0.40 01-50% Ph/Mt, a 0.25 51-100% Ph/Mt, a maximum altitude of High, and RA/EO.

How was the Air Range Close of 1.9 and Air Range Far of 3.8, in the example, calculated?

There will be more questions as I crawl through this process.

Thanks,

I'm no H4.1 expert, Pete, but I think the example might be in error. The annexes say your Mk 75 76mm/62 gun should have a maximum range of 3.5 nm, as you have noted, not 3.8 nm.

The rules themselves say (at 6.4.1.1): "The annexes provide the maximum range, maximum altitude, possible fire control modes and remarks for each air defense gun system".

I'm guessing that the example shown on page 2-4 is mixed up with the example used in Rule 6.4.1.1 (shown as Example #1 on page 6-22) where they talk about a Mk 1 76mm/62 gun with a maximum range of 3.8 nm.

And, the air range (short or close) is calculated as 0-50% of maximum range.

I'm guessing that the example shown on page 2-4 is mixed up with the example used in Rule 6.4.1.1 (shown as Example #1 on page 6-22) where they talk about a Mk 1 76mm/62 gun with a maximum range of 3.8 nm.

And, the air range (short or close) is calculated as 0-50% of maximum range.

So a gun such as the Mk75 with an air range of 3.5nm should have a 40% Ph at the Close Air Range of 1.75nm and a 25% Ph at the Far Air Range of 3.5nm.

Everytime a pick up the 4.1 Rules, I get hung up an this example.

Thanks Brad.

• 3 years later...

Glad you guys explained how they come up with the close and far ranges. Been trying to make sense of the numbers on the ship forms as they are not well explained in the manual. Suspected what you guys said to be true but the examples were not jiving with the annex numbers.

Thanks again, Steve