Iran shows film of captured US drone

From BBC

[excerpt]

8 December 2011 Last updated at 12:50 ET

Iran shows film of captured US drone

Iranian TV has shown the first video footage of an advanced US drone aircraft that Tehran says it downed near the Afghan border.

Images show Iranian military officials inspecting the RQ-170 Sentinel stealth aircraft which appears to be undamaged.

From Aviation Week's Ares blog

[excerpt]

More Details on RQ-170 Crash and Implications of Iran's Recovery

Posted by David A. Fulghum at 12/9/2011 11:57 AM CST

I’ll try to answer as many questions as I can that were generated by the previous UAV crash blog post.

Washington has been conducting intelligence-gathering over-flights with both stealthy and non-stealthy unmanned aircraft to monitor Tehran’s military developments.

From AOL Defense

[excerpt]

Iranian Drone 'Looks Like A Fake,' Not An RQ-170: Former DoD Official

By Colin Clark

Published: December 8, 2011

WASHINGTON: A former senior Pentagon official with extensive knowledge of unmanned aerial vehicles expressed great skepticism of the aircraft supposed to be a stealthy RQ-170 shown on Iranian television today.

From Army Times

[excerpt]

Iran says it’s almost done decoding U.S. drone

Extracted info to be used in lawsuit, lawmaker says

By Nasser Karimi - The Associated Press

Posted : Monday Dec 12, 2011 5:32:27 EST

TEHRAN, Iran — Iranian experts are in the final stages of recovering data from the U.S. surveillance drone captured by the country’s armed forces, state TV reported Monday.

From Army Times

TEHRAN, Iran — Iranian experts are in the final stages of recovering data from the U.S. surveillance drone captured by the country’s armed forces, state TV reported Monday.

They sure didn't waste any time. It took China longer with that EP-3. Skeptical me :D

They've made even more progress today. :D

From CNN

[excerpt]

Report: Iran says it can control the drone

By the CNN Wire Staff

updated 5:29 AM EST, Tue December 13, 2011

(CNN) -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Tuesday his country can "control" the U.S. drone aircraft that Iran claims it recently brought down, Venezuelan state TV reported.

From DefenseNews

[excerpt]

Iran Did Not Down Drone: U.S. House Intel Chair

By KATE BRANNEN

Published: 13 Dec 2011 14:35

Iran did not down the U.S. spy drone captured by Iranian armed forces earlier this month, U.S. House Intelligence Committee chairman Rep. Mike Rogers said Dec. 13.

"I am satisfied in this particular case that no outside force brought this drone down," said Rogers, R-Mich., speaking at a conference sponsored by the Foreign Policy Initiative. "I will say without hesitation that this came down due to a technical problem."

From Army Times

They sure didn't waste any time. It took China longer with that EP-3. Skeptical me :D

Very good point.

From Christian Science Monitor

[excerpt]

Exclusive: Iran hijacked US drone, says Iranian engineer (Video)

By Scott Peterson, Staff writer, Payam Faramarzi*, Correspondent / December 15, 2011

In an exclusive interview, an engineer working to unlock the secrets of the captured RQ-170 Sentinel says they exploited a known vulnerability and tricked the US drone into landing in Iran.

Somebody correct me If I am wrong but using a similar system near their Nuclear facilities would they be able to mess with the targeting systems on gps guided weapons, requiring the use of older laser systems and aircraft having to get in allot closer?

My understanding in that most all cases, whether UAVs or GPS guided weapons like JDAM, the GPS is used only to update the inertial navigation system (INS).

What the CSM article and some other sources seem to be saying, is that the Iranians 'spoofed' the Sentinel by feeding it false GPS coordinates. I would have thought that the command & control system would have had some sort of fail safe to protect against high order GPS errors - say, many miles instead of meters - but I could be wrong.