File Name: Nimitz in the Med 1981

File Submitter: Mgellis

File Submitted: 1 Dec 2011

File Updated: 27 Jul 2012

File Category: Scenarios

DB Used: HUD 4 Official Release

Authors: Mark Gellis

Battleset: No Information

What if the shooting down of a couple of Libyan aircraft in 1981 resulted in the President deciding that now was the perfect time to make a major strike against Libya?

Click here to download this file

• 1 month later...
Playing it right now. That looks really interesting, a classical storyline for hopefully a nice Turkey Shoot :)

Is that Phantom version F-4 J/N/S right? Did the Italians operate that one?

I'm not sure...I'm assuming it's just American forces flying out of the base in Sicily. Of course, they have the advantage that, if need be, you can land them on the carrier.

Playing it right now. That looks really interesting, a classical storyline for hopefully a nice Turkey Shoot :)

Is that Phantom version F-4 J/N/S right? Did the Italians operate that one?

I'm not sure...I'm assuming it's just American forces flying out of the base in Sicily. Of course, they have the advantage that, if need be, you can land them on the carrier.

Ah, ok. US fighters based in Sicily - yes. Land them on the carrier? Is that Phantom version carrier capable e.g. the old carrier version of the F-4?

• 2 weeks later...

In the middle of it right now. First I was somewhat disappointed that no hostile fighters launched, attacking my Tomcat and Phantom patrols. But suddenly a swarm of Mig-23 Floggers attacked. I downed 16, lost one Tomcat and one Phantom in return.

Now it gets interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Just playing it for the third time. Really love it. This one shows how useful the introduction of the F-18 Hornet was: Attacked by dozens / over 100 hostile ac, the 24 Tomcats have a real stand. Until now I have suffered no losses, the Italians lost one FFG. I downed about 60 ac. But all Tomcats are on deck to refuel/reload and the long range SAMs are depleted.

Having Hornets means additional squadrons of fighters as well as fighter bombers. Having them not leads to dangerous situations if mass attacked.

This scenario really demonstrates that.

Got a massive, reoccuring game crash at a certain point, informed AGSI.

Has anybody finished this scenario, without crashes?

I have had this happen sometimes. Is it happening from a saved game? That's when I have this problem. My solution has been...alternate between TWO save files (so if one gets corrupted I don't lose the whole scenario that I'm playing) and, when that fails, give up and start from the beginning of the scenario. Usually, it's the saved file that is corrupted, although occasionally the base scenario gets messed up and I have to start writing it from scratch. That's annoying! :) I suppose one solution might be to erase your copy of the scenario and then download it again if the base scenario has somehow gotten corrupted.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Ok, now I´m up to 121 killed ac, for a loss of one F-4 and two A-7. Finally I had F-14s ready to launch and they quickly cleared the sky. Had to survive an Soviet cruise missile (P-500) attack, this was very close. Hopefully I now can reorganize my forces and start to counterattack as well as to deal with that Soviet task force which tried to sink my carrier group.

Killed over 150 ac, thus fulfilled that subgoal. Currently fighting against the Soviet task force with Orions, Corsairs, Intruders and the SSN Archerfish.

Lost three Tomcats due to poor tactics, misused this long-shooter as a dogfighter and was punished by several Foxbats.

Ok, the Soviet task force is neutralized, the Kiev sunken. Now I switch over to the hostile land facilities.

By giving each save an own file name - not overwriting older saves any longer - the crash issue has been avoided so far.