Default fuel loads on convential ships; can it be changed?

Steven

Little curious here. I've noticed in a scenerio that I've designed that on one ship in particular it seems to have a small fuel load. Once going to flank, the fuel time drops to barely 48 hrs. Is this a fuel load issue that the designer can change or has the geniuses here figured out how to make ships less effeciant than others. Thanks again to all whose reply.

Little curious here. I've noticed in a scenerio that I've designed that on one ship in particular it seems to have a small fuel load. Once going to flank, the fuel time drops to barely 48 hrs. Is this a fuel load issue that the designer can change or has the geniuses here figured out how to make ships less effeciant than others. Thanks again to all whose reply.

Hi,

What you are seeing is a function of the propulsion model that the game uses. IRL, a ship burns more fuel at an exponential rate for a given speed. The amount of fuel the platform has does not change, just the consumption rate of the fuel. It varies by platform type, and engine type. Typically gas turbines are the worst offenders since they are basically a jet engine, which by their nature are very inefficient to begin with. In the HUD and ANW DBs, fuel consumption for ships and subs on diesels are based on their cruise range from a public reference. Subs on batteries are referenced at 5 knots. Aircraft range is based on their cruising speed at their best altitude.

Keep in mind that the fuel load given that you see in the game is the time left at that speed and not a range value. So if you decide to throw the hammer down and clip along at 30 kts, then you may only get 50 hours of endurance. However in that time, you'll travel 1500nm. Given the nature of most scenarios, you probably will never have to do that.

Later

D