Staff Assistant Issues

Warhorse64

I am currently in the middle of playtesting a rather large and intense scenario in the Med, and the Staff Assistant is making me Very Grumpy. :angry: About every ten seconds real time he pops up to tell me that there are enemy aircraft in SAM range, and I really should light up my radars. This can go on for half an hour at a time, and makes playing the game somewhat ... painful ... :( Even worse, on the rare occasions when I do light up, he doesn't seem to realize it, and keeps popping up to tell me to light up radars that are ALREADY ON! This, I can really live without, because it happens while I am trying to deal with inbound SSMs. Is there any way to make him just STFU, or at least realize that he shouldn't be telling me about aircraft that are only in range of my SM-3s?

I am currently in the middle of playtesting a rather large and intense scenario in the Med, and the Staff Assistant is making me Very Grumpy. :angry: About every ten seconds real time he pops up to tell me that there are enemy aircraft in SAM range, and I really should light up my radars. This can go on for half an hour at a time, and makes playing the game somewhat ... painful ... :( Even worse, on the rare occasions when I do light up, he doesn't seem to realize it, and keeps popping up to tell me to light up radars that are ALREADY ON! This, I can really live without, because it happens while I am trying to deal with inbound SSMs. Is there any way to make him just STFU, or at least realize that he shouldn't be telling me about aircraft that are only in range of my SM-3s?

I don't know the answer but look forward to seeing it.

• 4 weeks later...

I´ve always considered it as a bug ; AI warns to turn on radars even if they are on.

I´ve always considered it as a bug ; AI warns to turn on radars even if they are on.

Hmm, I'd never thought of it as a bug but as a less than desirable (for me) attribute. I always assumed it was only happening to me when I had aircraft in the formation and as I didn't have them broadcasting their presence to the world the staff assistant thought I needed a nudge. I must try to find a bit of time to look again.

Don

I think you're right. Asking to turn on radars that are already active sounds like a bug. And there's a process for reporting and dealing with bugs. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still playing with this but haven't a suitable test save.

This is what I've observed:

blue group comprising one DDG with one helo flying in a formation sector. Plane flies in from a nearby enemy carrier.

Now for the alternatives:

Group radars are all (air and surface) set on. result = no problem.

Group radars are set air search only on. result = get turn on radar message.

Group radars are all set on but a second helo is sent into formation patrol. result get message.

My conclusion is that every available radar of the group must be active if there is a detected aircraft within AAM range or the message comes up (every 2 minutes game time).

So I'd think before fixing this we need to decide what we want to happen. Maybe if the air unit is being detected by an active radar of the player (by any group) we should be happy, perhaps it needs to be detected by any radar of the group concerned. Perhaps we might think that if there is at least one air contact there might be more and we should have every AS radar on?

I'd like to to be able to set my radars as I want and so long as there is no ESM only detected plane within range and I have an air search radar fix sufficient that my auto AAMs will fire I'd like to not get THE MESSAGE.

What do people think?

Don