Blackfive - Walter Reed closes- end of an era

HG S2 (Intel Bot)

Today was the official casing of the colors for the Walter Reed Army Medical Center. An awful lot of military folks have moved through there over the years and have received some of the best medical care in the world. There may have been some glitches, but all in all it was a safe haven for our wounded and sick. There was quite a going away party today and I attended w/ my girlfriend who is in the Wounded Warrior program there. The Golden Knights jumped in and started things off which is always fun.

6a00d8341bfadb53ef0154340cdb21970c-320wi  My girl went to introduce me to a double amputee skydiver who used to be a member of the Knights and actually returned to the team after losing both legs at the knee. Funny thing was I already knew him and had gone through the SF Weapons course with him back in the day. Dana Bowman was there to jump in later with the Ranger Group.

6a00d8341bfadb53ef014e8a2ccddd970d-320wi One of the great parts of the Walter Reed family was the Mologne House, a hotel right on post where our wounded and their families could stay while rehabilitating. It opened in 1997 and was named for a former commander of Walter Reed, Gen. Lewis A. Mologne. His widow Rose has remained a major force in the lives of many of those who have spent time there and she and my girlfriend are good friends.We got a chance to say hi to her today.

Most of the programs from Walter Reed have survived and will move to Bethesda, which is being renamed to include the Walter Reed legacy and to Ft. Belvoir. But a piece of our military history closed today and that is a bittersweet thing. Thanks to all the talented and dedicated medical personnel who have done so much for the patients who needed them.

di

di

Blackfive?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Blackfive?d=dnMXMwOfBR0 Blackfive?d=7Q72WNTAKBA Blackfive?i=req28ljKheQ:O3d-sKR99_M:V_sGLiPBpWU Blackfive?d=qj6IDK7rITs Blackfive?i=req28ljKheQ:O3d-sKR99_M:gIN9vFwOqvQ Blackfive?i=req28ljKheQ:O3d-sKR99_M:F7zBnMyn0Lo

View the full article