C Level Brawl

Hi Mark,

ok, just started it.

First impressions:

- windows are arranged neatly, good ;)

- There is no loadout for the CF-18 Hornets available = intended? I usually play all scens with aircraft logistics enabled. That´s what most H3 / ANW players do. This means, that the scenario designer has to add ordnance to an ammo dump (or to use a pre-filled ammo dump)which is in return part of a base where ac are stationed. If there is no ammo dump, the ac have no or almost no loadouts available if aircraft logistics is on.

- Is the sub intentionally at periscope depth? Just a hint. If you don´t change that in the scenario editor it´ll always start at periscope depth.

Regards,

Ralf

Mark,

12 hours of game time gone and nothing has happened so far. Maybe the enemy has no eyes to detect my units?

Ralf,

You may have to go looking for them... ;)

As for the ammo dump...I did not turn on aircraft logistics for this scenario. (It's a short scenario so I figure whatever the Canadians need is there.)

I used the generic airfields; am I correct that to add an ammo dump I would simply add one near the airfield, attach it to the group, and it's taken care of? Or do I have to do something else and/or more than that? Thanks.

Also, do I need to add an ammo dump for the AI side if I use aircraft logistics?

As for the ammo dump...how much is appropriate? What is the usual amount of ordinance one would expect at a base? Five sorties worth? More? Less?

Thanks.

Mark

Mark,

Mark,

12 hours of game time gone and nothing has happened so far. Maybe the enemy has no eyes to detect my units?

Ralf,

You may have to go looking for them... ;)

As for the ammo dump...I did not turn on aircraft logistics for this scenario. (It's a short scenario so I figure whatever the Canadians need is there.)

I used the generic airfields; am I correct that to add an ammo dump I would simply add one near the airfield, attach it to the group, and it's taken care of? Or do I have to do something else and/or more than that? Thanks.

Also, do I need to add an ammo dump for the AI side if I use aircraft logistics?

As for the ammo dump...how much is appropriate? What is the usual amount of ordinance one would expect at a base? Five sorties worth? More? Less?

Thanks.

Mark

Yes, obviously I have to do some search ;)

As to aircraft logistics:

Ok, understood. So I play it ac logistics off. For the release version: the players should know that since most players are used to play with ac logistics on. This si far more realistisc and one of the advantages ANW has compared to HC.

As to the airfield:

I newer use generic airfields. I always build bases, starting with a C3I Comm Center. Then the runway(s), the hangars, fuel depots and at least one ammo dump. Guarded by radar and SAMs. Thus I don´t know if and how to add an ammo dump to a generic base/airfield. Doesn´t make sense anyway IMHO. Use ANWs micromanagement facilities, build realistic bases :)

As to the ordnance per base/airfield:

Depends on the scenario context. If you model a side cut off its supplies and been on the defensive for a long time, you wouldn´t give this side much ordnance. But you could create an UnRep mission to it. An Example. my scen "The Trap". The carrier has not many missiles left for its aircraft, but an UnRep convoy is underway.

On the other side you could model a side well prepared to long planned attack. Here you will assign enough ordnance for all sorties necessary.

Regards,

Ralf

Yes, obviously I have to do some search ;)

As to aircraft logistics:

Ok, understood. So I play it ac logistics off. For the release version: the players should know that since most players are used to play with ac logistics on. This si far more realistisc and one of the advantages ANW has compared to HC.

As to the airfield:

I newer use generic airfields. I always build bases, starting with a C3I Comm Center. Then the runway(s), the hangars, fuel depots and at least one ammo dump. Guarded by radar and SAMs. Thus I don´t know if and how to add an ammo dump to a generic base/airfield. Doesn´t make sense anyway IMHO. Use ANWs micromanagement facilities, build realistic bases :)

As to the ordnance per base/airfield:

Depends on the scenario context. If you model a side cut off its supplies and been on the defensive for a long time, you wouldn´t give this side much ordnance. But you could create an UnRep mission to it. An Example. my scen "The Trap". The carrier has not many missiles left for its aircraft, but an UnRep convoy is underway.

On the other side you could model a side well prepared to long planned attack. Here you will assign enough ordnance for all sorties necessary.

Regards,

Ralf

Okay, I figured out how to add ammo dumps to the generic airfields. I may post a revised version of C Level Brawl with the ammunition dumps added on both sides. Of course, as far as I can tell, you have to simply use the existing ones (e.g., RAAF or USAF/USN) that fit the aircraft. I can add a generic one, but it's empty.

Once you add an ammunition dump, can you edit how much ammunition it has? Or is that something fixed, set up in the database?

Mark

Here is a revised version of the scenario...aircraft logistics should work...

Just curious...has anyone tried the revised version yet? Any thoughts?

Mark

P.S...the one I'm working on now is an E.U. convoy heading to Syria with humanitarian aid...Syria will try to stop them...meanwhile, an American sub is on patrol in the area and might respond badly to anything that gets too close...

Mark, it would be appreciated if you'd upload your scenarios to the downloads area when they are good to go and remove them from these forum posts. You can always start them in the downloads area too and we can delete them if you don't end up with a scenario you like.

As a general note make sure to specify the exact database version used for H2/3/ANW scenarios (i.e. HUD3 1.5.0 ) so that the user will know if they need to rebuild a scenario to play it.

Mark,

if I now play logistics on as intended, all aircraft have unlimited loadouts. That means that on one side the issue with no loadouts available is solved. But, on the other hand, it is like playing with logistics off: no limits. Did you enter an ammo dump and set up all values to maximum? Or (i´m not sure about this) does adding an ammo dump to an installation (which I never use) automatically lead to this unrealistic situation?

Anyway, surely not what you intended (?)

Mark,

if I now play logistics on as intended, all aircraft have unlimited loadouts. That means that on one side the issue with no loadouts available is solved. But, on the other hand, it is like playing with logistics off: no limits. Did you enter an ammo dump and set up all values to maximum? Or (i´m not sure about this) does adding an ammo dump to an installation (which I never use) automatically lead to this unrealistic situation?

Weird...all I did was add a US ammo depot (didn't want to mess with a generic one) to the airfield installation and when I open up the scenario editor, it tells me I have enough for 82 sorties with the ATA loadout for the Canadian F-18s. \

Hmmm...I did not rebuild the scenario for the Jan. 2011 version of the HUD3 until I read your message...when I did so, it changed the number of sorties available to 90. (In fact, I could not run the scenario until I used the rebuild functions. I will have to keep that in mind when I write other scenarios.) And then when I did run it, it says I have 98 sorties available. Go figure. Weird.

Mark,

Mark,

Weird...all I did was add a US ammo depot (didn't want to mess with a generic one) to the airfield installation and when I open up the scenario editor, it tells me I have enough for 82 sorties with the ATA loadout for the Canadian F-18s. \

Hmmm...I did not rebuild the scenario for the Jan. 2011 version of the HUD3 until I read your message...when I did so, it changed the number of sorties available to 90. (In fact, I could not run the scenario until I used the rebuild functions. I will have to keep that in mind when I write other scenarios.) And then when I did run it, it says I have 98 sorties available. Go figure. Weird.

IIRC this sortie rate mismatch is a known ANW bug. The game engine and the scenario editor calculate differently. Not nice, but not game killing, either. For me, the question remains, why I got unlimited loadouts.

I´ll play the scen today and look once more at it, maybe I forgot to check the aircraft logistics on box.

Regards,

Ralf

Mark,

playing right now and really having fun here. Aircraft Logistics works as intended; in the previous test run I had forgotten to check the box.

The scenario is a typical Mark Gellis fine arts one :)

So far I´ve sunk one hostile vessel and a few aircraft, but one of my ships was pounded and damaged 20%. Being too ambitious I downed a civilian 757-200 :(

Looking forward to finish it; then I´ll give a summary.

btw Mark: You´ve started three wonderful nice little scens; don´t forget to finish and release them. :)

Ralf

A few hours later...

I got the second hostile vessel with Aurora launched Harpoons. All the time my task force and the Hornets are very hard pressed to defend against hostile fighter bombers. The main job now is a) to take back the task force in order to prevent it for future operations and B) to find and sink the hostile sub.

This scenario is really fascinating. So few units, so much in it.

Just a quick note on the logistics function. Apologies to those aware of this and I'm repeating it.

When you complete a scenario (design stage) create a scenario *.sem file, by using the following command.

EDIT -> Scenario Rebuild -> Export All Unit Weapon Edits.

This creates a small file that, allows for the scenario to be rebuilt with all Mount and Magazine weapon record edits saved. For example if you decided to change the version of Harpoons loaded in the Mk141 from RGM-84D - Harpoon IC (4/4) - (DEFAULT) to RGM-84G - Harpoon IG (4/4), without making a, "scenario_file_name.sem" file, when a player or designer for that matter rebuilds the scenario. The modification made will revert to the default load.

The same issue applies to Magazine edits such as the airbase magazines mentioned above.

Airbase Magazines - An explanation.

Named country Airbase magazines should contain weapons that, allow for loading aircraft specific to that nation to be loaded, although there may be a need to make modifications based on the year the scenario is designed for. The General Munitions (65k) magazine should cover every almost every weapon in the HUD3 and is probably best used where a mix of aircraft from various nationalities are included in a scenario.

Cheers

Darren