Harpoon insights

TonyE

I long ago gave up on the notion of anything happening with Harpoon in a short term time frame or any other program like Harpoon for that matter. There simply isn't the time, money, or user base [thanks mainly to the many people left unmentioned in this thread and their so called 'knowledge base'].

So far, all i've seen from Red/Green/Blue/whatever Pill is a bunch of screen shots. Many a game has been hyped via this only to be found time and again in development hell. On the very rare occation I talk to the developers [the last time being years ago now, and I am even less inclined to talk to them now as I was back then] I was none too certain that they understood the scale of their undertaking. Their recent call for donations [or whatever they called it] has me wondering....

If their own Harpoon scenarios are any indication then we'll probably see a more air warfare centric game as opposed to a naval one. While only a fool would refuse to acknowledge the factor that air power plays in modern warfare, Harpoon is still a naval warfare game/program/simulator [whatever you like to call it]. I would prefer that it would stay that way as opposed to trying to model the first day of the air war in WW3. There is so much more to modern naval warfare than watching a multi-regemental Backfire strike take down a US Carrier. Specal Forces, Amphibious Ops, Mine warfare, VBSS, SAR, MARSEC, Anti-Terrorism/Piracy, ELINT, Space Warfare, OTH Targeting, Time Lagged Intelligence, Information Warfare are all encompassing aspect of naval warfare.

First and foremost however is a new UI. Especially for ANW. I've talked about this briefly with Tony before but to be honest it's way over my head. I'm sure AGSI would love to hear suggestions regarding a cost effective way to go about a new UI. I certainly don't have any. And I can't devote the time that I have as XO either.

The good news is that we have longevity on our side. The banning of certain people from the Matrix forums is a good step forward [although there's a few more to go in my opinion]. Matrix would be wise to take heed of the policies in place here. But I digress.

Later

D

[part time professional purveyor of H3 MilSim and someone who was hardly a saint in these matters but at least knows how to work with people]

Source: Usenet

Date: 1995/05/22

luke verhoogt

Date: 1995/05/22

Subject: harpoon classic

Hi

I have a great copy of Harpoon Classic 1.5 and am having trouble with my

computer crashing with the larger senarios. (386 dx40, 4M ram, 300M hd, dos

5.0).

I know it how I've got it set up but haven't been able to solve the problem

after a long time trying. Help

Thanks

Hundreds of times faster and zippier machines and still we want to make bigger scens. How's that 32-bit HC SE coming along Tony? btw, 32-bit SE is a long ways away, my regular coding is almost entirely focused on the multi-sided expansion, the SE will come after that, probably long after it since allowing larger scenarios is the best reason I've heard since virtualization got drop-dead easy!

First and foremost however is a new UI. Especially for ANW. I've talked about this briefly with Tony before but to be honest it's way over my head. I'm sure AGSI would love to hear suggestions regarding a cost effective way to go about a new UI. I certainly don't have any. And I can't devote the time that I have as XO either.

Keep at it Dale, HC needs a new UI too but most players don't realize it B) . Making the UI open source would open up some possibilities since most of the applicable code-bases for 3D spherical Earth interfaces are open source. The commercial ones I'm sure you've seen are too expensive unless MilSim can really land a lucrative licensing deal that would allow commercial distribution of STK (I cannot even fathom how that would ever be possible).

I still flirt now and again with using Google Earth itself as the map interface but I always end up limited by the number of objects that can be rendered effectively (one really has to abstract the view as you zoom out from unit to group to task groups to... and I don't like that). On the HC side unfortunately the person who created the globe components I liked has disappeared and some key bugs are as yet beyond me to remedy.

Hehe, so I guess you hit it right, unless someone who really likes Harpoon drops a number of millions of dollars on our heads the process will be excruciatingly slow.

Hehe, so I guess you hit it right, unless someone who really likes Harpoon drops a number of millions of dollars on our heads the process will be excruciatingly slow.

I'll keep tossing a few bucks on the LottoMax every now and then. :P

Date: 2003/01/03

When I'm

feeling down it's kind of fun to put 4 CVBGs in the Indian Ocean

surrounded by vast arrays of enemy everythings and then light up all the

radars and hum "If you want it, here it is, come and get it . . ." while

creating massive mayhem.

After my own heart :)

Date: 1996/10/11

There is no platform editor for Classics. According to Gordon Walton of

Alliance, it would be to difficult to write one. In Classics the

platforms are a part of the program while the platforms are in a

seperate database in H2 which allows us to edit them. Gordon says there

will not be a platform editor for Classics.

Saul

and a victory message...

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ib...30c3982cd415760

I'm glad we have the PE :D

• 1 month later...

Date: 2008/04/17

This one by the unforgettable Giftzwerg was good

Dude. Quit while you're ahead. Rutins is *agreeing* with you.

Keep focus. AGSI is the enemy.

--

Giftzwerg

Source: CZ list

Date: 1992/11/02

Subject: (24) BB Coastal Shelling

Message-Id:

Last night I was playing the IOPG senerio "No Carrier, No problem", in which

blue has an Iowa class BB + lots of support ships. (I have PC harpoon, V1.3.)

I got the BB close enough to Kuwait City to fire the "big guns". I selected

attack, picked the guns, and selected impact.

The guns are listed as .30 ph, and ~250 damage. After I made the selection

there was the expected explosion at the city. Then there was another, and

another. The Wisconson continuted to fire until all the shells were expended.

The entire barrage did 4% damage to Kuwait City.

This seems doubly broken to me. First, I did not expect it to keep firing

until I was out of shells. Second, I cannot imagine that the city has enought

damage points so that all those hits did only 4% damage.

Has anyone else seen this? Thoughts, guesses, wild speculations?

Bret

An early post from Bret Mckee, the programmer you have to thank for...

• The WestPac battleset (and the battleset making utilities that I wrapped with the BS Builder)
  • The game code changes to work with the editable database as well as decoding the battleset format itself!
  • Vastly improved submarine AI
  • Code that I still haven't taken advantage of that will add land height and sea depth to the game
  • Shaping me into a productive HC programmer
  • Thousands of other fixes and tweaks
  • Much much else