File Name: Headbutt#1

File Submitter: rainman

File Submitted: 2 Jan 2011

File Category: South Africa

DB Used: HCDB 101213

Authors: Patrick Howard

Battleset-South Africa: .scu - CDB - CDB

The Headbutts

This is series of three HCE scenarios, intended primarily for beginning and intermediate HCE players. They are small, and playable from RED or BLUE in each case. I hope that these will serve as a training tool for beginners, and an overview of the relative capabilities of American, French, Russian, and British carrier groups around 2014 or so for more advanced players. "Historical" accuracy is a goal, so Tomcats, Backfires, Vikings, etc. are absent in this collection. A guide to the included aircraft and weapons derived from the HCDB 101213 database, giving weapon speeds, ESM details, etc. is included with each scenario. Please use this database as older ones will cause inaccurate play balance.

This package will be followed in time with much more difficult scenarios playable by one side only.

Butt1 USA vs Russia, South Africa. Easy (BLUE) Difficult (RED)

Butt2 France vs Russia, South Africa, Intermediate (BLUE) Intermediate (RED)

Butt3 UK and Denmark vs Russia, GIUK, Intermediate (BLUE) Intermediate (RED) and somewhat larger.

as always I look forward to your comments.

Good Hunting!

Click here to download this file

• 6 months later...

Just played Butt1 & Butt2 as "worm-up". As blue side player it's nice. As red side player it is very hard so far. I'm not able to detect a blue unit before it launch an AMRAAM or Meteor. Finally, I lost all air assets. <_<

Just played Butt1 & Butt2 as "worm-up". As blue side player it's nice. As red side player it is very hard so far. I'm not able to detect a blue unit before it launch an AMRAAM or Meteor. Finally, I lost all air assets. <_<

Look at the "Aircraft and Weapons" pdf included with the scenario. You will see that some (but not all) of your A/C have "passive ESM". This is the ability to detect radar emissions from an enemy A/C or ship. This means that you can detect enemy A/C WITHOUT turning on your own radars. This is important because a) the USN has many more A/C with this ability, and B) your assets in this regard are very limited. (look at the orders, it pretty much says the same thing). So. The AI tends to activate a radar at the slightest provocation. Also, if the USN detects an airborne radar, it will send fighters to intercept it. So station at least two "ESM capable" A/C at high altitude near your formation. Now look at the "weapons" section of the pdf. You will find certain air to air missiles that do not require a radar to guide them. This gives you the tools to set an ambush. And remember, your carrier group has superb SAM coverage. So you can lure enemy A/C within that zone as well. Another technique is the "missile trap", an old USN trick. Position an AAW capable ship on the threat axis about 100 NM from the main body, with its radars off. (you will have to protect this ship from subs). Using airborne radars lure enemy A/C within its missile envelope, and use the SAM's to kill the aircraft. The USN approach of airborne strike warfare will not work so well here. You will have to kill the carrier with SSM's or subs. Welcome to the Russian reality, and thanks to all who made this so realistic. Hope this helps.

Currently enjoying these, starting with Headbutt#2. Not sure how I missed them when they came on board, very nice - one of those "smaller is better" :)

(ed update)

Yep, a goodie, managed to get total victory for both, but was feeling a bit uneasy when playing Red. We seemed to be going neck and neck for a while. Tried a few of Rainman's tips and they are probably what got me through,

Thanks for another great Harpoon scenario....

Don