The end for Ark Royal

Thinking a lot about it.

No discussions have been held between Britain and France on whether aircraft carriers could be sent to defend the Falkland Islands, Armed Forces Minister Nick Harvey said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/a...11289847836003A

And don't forget about the low reability of the Charles de Gaulle engines ...

And don't forget the husband of the Argentina President was dead in October. His widow is in a very difficult political situation (News reports and some personal contacts), as is Argentina ...

I would change the future name Prince of Wales for Ark Royal. Prince of Wales sound some like hoodoo for me <_<

Out of interest anyone know how old is the oldest ship's name in current use? I seem to remember some really old names (reading 'semi-fictional' Hornblower series) that regularly turn up.

...and yeh the Prince of Wales does seem a little hoodoo, but for what reason?

I guess they don't use Hood anymore, why Prince of Wales?

Don Thomas

I would change the future name Prince of Wales for Ark Royal. Prince of Wales sound some like hoodoo for me <_<

...and yeh the Prince of Wales does seem a little hoodoo, but for what reason?

Now I understand my yesterday late-night thinking. Prince of Wales is hoodoo name for a aircraft carrier because the latest bearer of the name by sunked exclusively by aircraft :o

I think any name as Invincible (we can forget Jutland, the name was redeemed in the Falklands campaing (perhaps twice, in 1914 and 1982 ;) ) ), Ark Royal, Illustrious, Hermes (the first ship in any navy to be designed and built as an aircraft carrier) or Eagle are by far better names for a UK aircraft carrier (yes, some Ark Royal, Hermes and Eagle bearers had a sad end, but the names were also redeemed later with the good post-war services of other bearers).

Also, now I've constated in Conway's the name proposed for the 1966 cancelled CVA-01 project were also royal names, Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edimburgh, not a good thing either ... :(

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...