A walk through the versions

Silent Hunter UK

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm not sure were to write this post, and I think it's not worth to begin a new topic, I think it can be placed here, because the Silent Hunter UK efforts to keep the game alive throught close examination of the iterations variants.

This close examination has his results today, in the great revamp Tony has do in the HCE 2009-82, with a very impressive list of recovered features http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?/topic/2395-hce-release-notes/page-11

The neutrals no detecting more enemy units for the player's side also speeds up the gameplay a lot! (as in WWII scenarios the neutral merchants reporting one and other time previously detected enemy units).

Testing the drone scenario I see the gameplay is very improved.

Thanks Tony!!! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I've moved my Harpoon installation to my new PC, but it won't start up WinHarp 1.62.

WinHarp 1.62 is a 16-bit application and will only run on 32-bit versions of Windows (or a virtual machine running such). You are probably trying to run it on a 64-bit version of Windows (which will not work without virtualization).

Several options exist, my preference would be VirtualBox by Oracle, https://www.virtualbox.org/ I think the 'professional' line of Windows also has some virtualization platform built in.

For VirtualBox and Windows XP, there is a tutorial here: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1853121/setting-virtual-windows-machine-virtualbox.html

... I think the 'professional' line of Windows also has some virtualization platform built in. ...

Yep, Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate versions include "Windows XP Mode" which runs under the built-in Windows Virtual PC, link to the MS guide:

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

I run the SE this way myself.

Thanks. What about Windows 8?

Windows 8 does not come with Windows XP Mode, only Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise, and Ultimate did. For Windows 8 you would have to use one of the 3rd party products. I used VMWare, TeTeT has suggested another.

Thanks. What about Windows 8?

Windows 8 does not come with Windows XP Mode, only Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise, and Ultimate did. For Windows 8 you would have to use one of the 3rd party products. I used VMWare, TeTeT has suggested another.

Then, it's possible with that VMWare to use in Windows 8 the Scenario Editor???