Everything posted by donaldseadog
-
Delayed turn of destroyer to engage enemy
2025.012, working very nicely. Fix confirmed and accepted lovingly.
-
Game crash when attacking air to air with cannon within gun range but out of gun arc
I disabled export.dlls and no crash (I think my Toolbox, last one to remove), but my blue plane never turns to engage. Pesky red fighter continues to fire at me. You must be a better pilot? I'll think about what might be happening in toolbox to cause the problem so shelve it
-
Game crash when attacking air to air with cannon within gun range but out of gun arc
mine still gets crash after this screen comes up and i answer yes - now in 2025.012. I'll download a new copy of HCWW and try again
-
Game crash when attacking air to air with cannon within gun range but out of gun arc
Sounds good I'll retest at my end tonight. This will help make ww2 scenario more interesting\less frustrating.
-
CVBG v. Submarine
I think that the huce modelling, ease of use and flexibility goes way beyond those four models. Just an opinion after a quick perusal.
-
Chinese task force busy in pacific
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2025-02-23/chinese-warships-australian-coast-live-fire-drills-new-zealand/104970682?utm_source=abc_news_app&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_campaign=abc_news_app&utm_content=other
-
Harriers launching AAMs to Orbit!!!
My thinking is best to be consistent with the SAM. Also the chances of getting that hit I'd think very slim so player or AI (depending which is the defensive side in the action) needs to decide if its optimum for their situation (eg there might be cruise missiles coming in right behind), and I think that's way beyond AI. It might also be frustrating for a player not knowing the reasoning.
-
Some interesting extra long range a2a missiles
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=AIM-160_SACM&wprov=rarw1https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-260_JATM https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-174B
-
RNZN gets busy
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2025/02/new-zealand-fires-penguin-missile-for-the-first-time/
-
Harpoon 1.58E - Range circles looking like ellipses
I play on my laptop too. I need glasses to read and use a particular pair for the computer. Also my laptop you can in the windows setting alter screen scaling, it will effect everything not just harpoon. For me harpoon is best on a 150% scaling but I dont like it for other things so compromise at 125%. I find it easiest on my eyes to run with light grey land and light colour sea. Although I made a map with names of oceans as an experiment and you need to run textured maps to read it. There are a huge number of improvements in the game since those old versions and I think worth a bit of a try to get the latest working well for yourself. That said the basics are just the same in my mind.
-
Harpoon 1.58E - Range circles looking like ellipses
I gave this a go thru DosBox, my range rings were circular but the window was tiny. I'm guessing I'd need to get into the DosBox config fiile to get it bigger. Did you have a good window size, are you playing it from the HarpoonUltimate Commanders Edition (that's what I did)
-
Delayed turn of destroyer to engage enemy
This appears to be unresolved, testing in most recent GE 2025.003. This issue causes most problem in scenario using limited range anti surface weapons such as naval guns. Time to turn onto calculated course is about 30 mins unless the player intervenes by going thru the F3 Course command (no actual change seems to be necessary just call up and execute the existing course.
-
Harriers launching AAMs to Orbit!!!
-
File - IOPG - SC93
Thanks heaps for this Patrick, I loved the way the lack of high performers meant a need to put care and thought into the tactics, and for me a need to adapt to how my fortunes (or otherwise) came to play. I'm looking forward to giving a possible future red side version a run Don
-
File - IOPG - SC93
+++SPOILER ALERT+++ I normally try to play at as fast a time acceleration as I can get away with, so spending 5 hrs actual time to knock over only about 20 game time shows that I was kept on my toes. My first self assigned task was to set up an asw cordon of my surface group, get some eyes and ears into the sky from land and sea, station the IFR tanker somewhere I thought safe (west of my surface group and with a single escort) then knock out the recce ability from out of the captured Aman base to the north. My main eyes and ears consisted of pairs of my best Harriers patrolling to my general east (I considered my most likely source of competent air attacks) and F16 from my land base to the west. The Sea Apache roamed about closer to the ships but in the long term proved to be possibly my best units at picking up trouble, and certainly in a pack of 6 each with two harpoon very competent aggressors. With two submarines already generally one each to the north and south I sent them off on their own patrols. To deal with the Oman base Muscat the harrier sead took off once I judged the IFR tanker would be on a suitable station for their return when they'd be needing a bit of a drink. After the sead had dealt with the radar a couple of precision attack bombers did enough damage that my intel men said no aircraft were likely operational, so I let them be. In the meantime my aim-120s toted by the few latest Harriers had taken care of some Bears, Badgers, Mig23s and Mirage. I'd also found to the east some small fry surface groups comprising frigates and PTboats letting my harriers clean them up initially with standoff Mavericks until my chief bosun let me know that we needed to not waste the limited supply, so minor cleanup was with guided bombs. It became clear that the numerous fighter and attack aircraft thought to be stationed at Goa were to be a continuous problem, so we expended in two salvos most of our long range cruise missiles to 'neutralise' this threat. It was a while before the real task came to hand. To the south I finally detected a surface group shortly turning out to be two groups in close company, a carrier, large escorts and a number of supply ships and landing ships, a full invasion force. This is where my luck, or perhaps good management, came undone to a degree. Trying to find a way in with low flying harriers armed with arm and standoff mavericks lost me an uncomfortable number of planes until we formulated a new tactic, nibbling away at their ASW helos and Forger vtol fighters when ever we could, occasionally loosing planes to the Forger but providing a clear path for our closing subs to enter. Two separate vollies of cruise missiles from the submarines and main surface group in synchronis and carefully targting the main AAW escorts made life easier for a combined effort of Sea Apache harpoon mass attacks and then the one by one slaughter at the hands of sub launched torpedoes. Despite the early loses we made good .. Taking out their carrier and the annoying effective Forger made the final goal in sight
-
Viewing planned orders chronology
I think also, from memory, if it is a patrol you can't see where the patrol is located nor edit it's position. For repeat launches I think there is missing edit ability too.
-
More on RAN frigate replacement contest
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2025-01-29/japan-vows-to-give-australia-first-access-to-mogami-warship/104868658?utm_source=abc_news_app&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_campaign=abc_news_app&utm_content=other
-
Software Issues - Maybe?
The "Can't find file ..." used to worry me but that's how it goes, all normal Ditto for the unit screen size in the SE, OK for checking how you've placed units but I guess not meant to do much more.
-
Icon Designation for Unknown Surface Contacts
If you run this export .dll you'll find in the attack page the cheat switch that changes sides of groups, I forget the order it happens, I think neutrals go to enemy, enemy to neutral and player to neutral but that might be wrong I hardly ever use it. There might be a mouse hover hint to tell you? Also if you run this and attack a neutral it will be very unhappy and become your enemy https://harpgamer.com/harpforum/files/file/809-toolbox/
-
Icon Designation for Unknown Surface Contacts
I now wonder if things like a neutral mine field work, I don't think so as they are basically a stationary submarine and have to fire a virtual torpedo to attack. A shame maybe there is no ramming? This subject does touch on something I've done where under certain circumstances a neutral is turned to an enemy. I think it could be done on the basis of whether the player is detecting them or not, so if undetected they could be enemy and if detected turn to neutral. My mind is starting to boggle
-
File - NACV - Greenland Rush, day zero, January 20, 2025.
+++SPOILER ALERT+++ Not a full AAR, but I will vouch for this scenario having a lot of action having run thru playing as Blue. Here's the butchers' bill to total victory stage. I'm sure I can give the Blues a bit of curry next round
- Icon Designation for Unknown Surface Contacts
-
Icon Designation for Unknown Surface Contacts
Wow, that would be a hard one. There are 'secret air bases' but they still need to be written as Enemy, not neutral. And in reality they are just not a preknown base that is on a map of the world and thus of a known position. There are weather patterns, that do not have a side, but aren't a platform and have no weapons etc, maybe game changes could be made and they could be weaponised. Once upon a time neutrals did have some tendency towards helping the AI enemy, I was having my position clearly given away and it turned out to be neutral whales. That no longer occurs. I've no idea what happens if you have a neutral with eg strong ECM equipment ( maybe try a Growler) on patrol. Maybe there could be added to a database an effectively non detectable platform (it would still need to be an enemy) that had ECM ability. I see a "Wish List" item perhaps. I might fiddle about with the idea,
-
Don's (new) wishlist
New wish added to first lost, when ai turns on 'enemy' radar it turns on instantly but periodic, not continuous. Maybe it turns off after some event eg the platforms performs an attack or the triggering threat is no longer detected. It is such a sitting duck move by ai to turn on continuous radar at any provocation and leave it on.
-
Aircraft Carrier Killer: What Anti-Ship Ballistic Missiles Are, And Who Has Them
A bit of an update. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-ship_ballistic_missile?wprov=sfla1