• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 XEagle

XEagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:31 PM

I need a little help. I have downloaded several different databases from the downloads section. In every case I have attempted to unzip the DB only to get a message that the DB is either corrupted or empty. Downloads from the scenario area are unzipping properly. Does anyone have a suggestion here? DK :(

#2 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

So am I understanding correctly that the commondb.* files are unzipping fine (i.e. Winzip or whatever program you are using is not giving errors)?

If so you are probably trying to use scenarios not meant for the database you have downloaded. They should match (HCDA scenarios go with the HCDA database, HCDB scenarios go with the HCDB database,...)

#3 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

... you are probably trying to use scenarios not meant for the database you have downloaded.

That'd be my guess.

#4 TEPonta

TEPonta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:23 AM

I get the impression that he's getting an error when he tries to unzip the download, that it's corrupt or empty. I think the only reason he mentions the scenarios to point out that other zip files from the site are coming down intact. I'd recommend trying the downloads again, and if that doesn't work, a zip file repair utility, such as ZipRecover, available here: http://www.ziprecover.com/

#5 XEagle

XEagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:11 AM

Yes, that is correct. Its only the HCDA and HCDB zip files that are causing problems. Any other files I have downloaded are unzipping with no issues. I am going to try the link you have provided. Thank you for taking the time to help. DK :)

#6 XEagle

XEagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:28 AM

Well, I tried the Zip Recovery program but no joy. The program ran but noted that the zip DB Files contained no files to recover. :(

#7 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:51 AM

Well, I tried the Zip Recovery program but no joy. The program ran but noted that the zip DB Files contained no files to recover. :(

Well, its definitely not the files themselves. I checked them myself this morning and both the HCDB and HCDA zip files are fine with no corruption issues. The problem is on your end, XEagle. Can you explain exactly what it is you are doing that results in an error message?

#8 XEagle

XEagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:44 AM

Well, its definitely not the files themselves. I checked them myself this morning and both the HCDB and HCDA zip files are fine with no corruption issues. The problem is on your end, XEagle. Can you explain exactly what it is you are doing that results in an error message?

Okay, I used two different methods: 1] If I click on the zip file I get a message that the file is invalid or corrupt 2] If I use the WinZip extraction tool I get a message that there are no files to extract. As I said before, other files from the site open up with either method. Very frustrating.........DK

#9 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

Okay, I used two different methods: 1] If I click on the zip file I get a message that the file is invalid or corrupt 2] If I use the WinZip extraction tool I get a message that there are no files to extract. As I said before, other files from the site open up with either method. Very frustrating.........DK

Please try right-clicking on "Download Now" (at the HCDB file download page) and doing a Save As. Make sure to save it in a different place than your existing attempts. See if that helps (i.e. skip any cached downloads, speaking of which it wouldn't hurt to clear your browser temp files before attempting this).

#10 XEagle

XEagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

Please try right-clicking on "Download Now" (at the HCDB file download page) and doing a Save As. Make sure to save it in a different place than your existing attempts. See if that helps (i.e. skip any cached downloads, speaking of which it wouldn't hurt to clear your browser temp files before attempting this).

Didn't help..........I cleared out browser temp file, did save as and so forth. Same result. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result every time. Im getting there.......... DK

#11 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

Didn't help..........I cleared out browser temp file, did save as and so forth. Same result. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result every time. Im getting there.......... DK

Odd. Okay, we could email the files to you for now, and see if that works. PM me.

#12 XEagle

XEagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

Odd. Okay, we could email the files to you for now, and see if that works. PM me.

Yeah, Im pretty much without any clue. Ive been downloading Harpoon items for years and this is the first time its ever happened. If you could Email me the latest HCDB, HCDA and 65-80 I would appreciate it very much. Tonite, when Im home Im going to try downloading them again with my other laptop which uses Vista [pretty much a useless machine] and see if something else happens. By the way, I have I believe a pretty complete collection of Harpoon software going back to the very first release which I might have been in 1989 or 1990. Its available in the event it would be of use. I assume you have my Email address. Thanks again :D

#13 XEagle

XEagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 12:14 PM

That worked!!!! :lol: I must have a kink in my end of the information pipeline. Thanks again. DK

#14 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

That worked!!!! :lol: I must have a kink in my end of the information pipeline. Thanks again. DK

Excellent. Glad it worked for you. I'd try and figure out that zip download issue, just the same, if I were you. :)

#15 XEagle

XEagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

Excellent. Glad it worked for you. I'd try and figure out that zip download issue, just the same, if I were you. :)

Went home last evening and tried downloading from my other laptop [both Dell Inspirons, one with XP, one with Vista]. Downloaded and unzipped all files successfully. I dont know what the problem is but I do know where it is so I suppose that is some sort of lateral solution. Thanks, DK :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users