18 replies to this topic

#1 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:28 PM

Screenshot of what went on in beta testing land today B)

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• HCUnitWinDLL.jpg

#2 Warhorse64

Warhorse64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

Hmmm ... I find myself with rather mixed feelings here ... On the one hand, this is the sort of eye candy that will probably make the game more popular with younger users, so Way To Go, Tony! On the other hand, from a purely personal point of view, Dear Lord, please tell me that I will have the option to TURN IT OFF!!! :P As always, your hard work is much appreciated.

#3 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:35 AM

:lol: It may not be as glitzy as it seems. The aircraft photo is actually my desktop wallpaper and I set the map window to partial transparency (that slider looking totally out of place adjusts the transparency) so the photo shows through. Really the goal is a somewhat more friendly map window with smooth(er) zoom and movement around the map. It doesn't hurt that it is a full Earth globe that will maybe possibly someday allow us to loft ICBMs over the great white north.

#4 Warhorse64

Warhorse64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

It doesn't hurt that it is a full Earth globe that will maybe possibly someday allow us to loft ICBMs over the great white north.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Canuckistan is a NOOKYOOLUR-FREE zone, d@mmit! :lol:

#5 TEPonta

TEPonta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:52 PM

It doesn't hurt that it is a full Earth globe that will maybe possibly someday allow us to loft ICBMs over the great white north.

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Canuckistan is a NOOKYOOLUR-FREE zone, d@mmit! :lol:

Warhorse,

I read a book years ago about a plan to move the NORAD defenses into Northern Canada in order to intercept ICBMs while still over the pole as opposed to over the food producing areas of Canada. The initial Canadian reaction was to allow this in exchange for Alaska being given to Canada. I believe the final plan involved a merger of the 2 nations into "The United States of Canada".

I read the novel years ago and can't remember the title or the author's name, but I was curious if you were familiar with it.

Buddha

#6 Herman

Herman

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:56 AM

Wasn't that novel Clive Cussler's, "Night Probe"?

#7 TEPonta

TEPonta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:38 AM

A distinct possibility. I've read quite a few of the Dirk Pitt novels, and because it's been so long, alot of them have blended together in memory. The only thing I really can place in memory as regards Night Probe is that it did indeed involve Canada and I think a submerged train wreck was in there as well. The Wikipedia entry for the book mentions the UK and some old agreement to sell Canada to the US, but no real details.

Buddha

#8 noxious

noxious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

In reality, the US stored tac nukes in Bagotville, QC, from somewhere in the 50s until 1984.
These nukes were for use by Canadian aviators, flying Canadian Voodoos, intercepting soviet long range bombers.
They are the Genie air rockets.
Small detachment of US officers at CFB Bagotville would release the weapons in case of an incoming bomber raid in the Great North.
The Canadian public was NOT aware of this back then, and still isn't : I grew up thinking Canada was a nuke free zone (well, weapon wise, we do have nuclear centrals), except in the case of ICBMs flying over us and being intercepted there.
So, who knows what other shenanigans happened during the Cold War :)

#9 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,314 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

In reality, the US stored tac nukes in Bagotville, QC, from somewhere in the 50s until 1984.

They weren't only at Bagotville. ;)

#10 Silent Hunter UK

Silent Hunter UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:13 PM

A distinct possibility. I've read quite a few of the Dirk Pitt novels, and because it's been so long, alot of them have blended together in memory. The only thing I really can place in memory as regards Night Probe is that it did indeed involve Canada and I think a submerged train wreck was in there as well. The Wikipedia entry for the book mentions the UK and some old agreement to sell Canada to the US, but no real details.

Buddha

Don't remember if it involved NORAD, but Night Probe is the Canada one.

#11 Warhorse64

Warhorse64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

Warhorse,

I read a book years ago about a plan to move the NORAD defenses into Northern Canada in order to intercept ICBMs while still over the pole as opposed to over the food producing areas of Canada. The initial Canadian reaction was to allow this in exchange for Alaska being given to Canada. I believe the final plan involved a merger of the 2 nations into "The United States of Canada".

I read the novel years ago and can't remember the title or the author's name, but I was curious if you were familiar with it.

Buddha

That sounds vaguely familiar. It might have been something by Richard Rohmer ... ?

#12 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:54 AM

Progress, direction arrows added (now to the nearest degree instead of nearest 45 degrees), jamming indicator, unknown (i.e. yellow) units, sonobuoys, and a bunch of other stuff.

More tricky code to write and a bug or two to sort out but still moving forward.

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• HCUnitWinDLL3.jpg

#13 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,314 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

What is the dotted green line? Passive sonar? I like it.

#14 noxious

noxious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:37 PM

Very nice indeed !

#15 Akula

Akula

Advanced Member

• HC3Posters