Merry Christmas!

#3 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

A belated Merry Christmas, had a stomach bug strike early in the day yesterday that sidelined me!

#4 donaldseadog

donaldseadog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:03 AM

is that what was going on! well I hope every one had a relaxing time, maybe catching up with family and old friends.

#5 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

The theme of my wishlist (which combines Christmas and my upcoming January birthday) was time-savers. 

Walt (>18 mo, < 24 mo old) is getting the gentle introduction to potty training but is in a spot where he doesn't need as much immediate supervision as he did.  Ethan soldiers on able to manage himself though he has a tremendous desire to spend more time with his parents, be it assembling Legos, snap circuits, or just being in close proximity while he plays.  In other words, the kids are in a lull in the continuum of time demands.

Revamping the home media solution is the first time saver, friends and family gifted me almost all of the pieces for us to move from HD Homerun + Plex + Windows Media Center (main floor), Amazon fire tv stick (upstairs), and Roku (basement) to a pure HD Homerun + Plex + Roku environment.  This should greatly reduce the support calls from Mel as it will be the same interface on each device and a single remote at each TV location.

Second is laying the groundwork for better remote administration of a couple of client networks.  They need new firewalls to reduce the risk of today's threats and I'll be beefing up the central administration and reporting so that I spend less time switching between environments and tools.  Unfortunately for economy that also means stepping up to enterprise wireless access points where firmware updates are more regular and dependable.  Spendy, but in terms of support cost, well worth the expense.

And some fun items like a Pixhawk controller and GPS so that I can finally build an autonomous ground vehicle (read first generation Traxxas e-Maxx) or boat.  I want to start with the e-Maxx then hope for the second generation to be a solar-powered boat that lives on a lake until someone steals it (complete with camera and cellular connection to keep me clued in to where on the lake it goes and what it sees).

#6 donaldseadog

donaldseadog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:17 AM

I don't think I understood more than 10 % of the first two paragraphs there Tony. Need I say I'm not a parent :)

The boat robot sounds cool, a ground version would be handy here to keep an eye on my wife's horses ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users