8 replies to this topic

#1 vplorre

vplorre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

Don't laugh.  I still have the Harpoon Classic 97 game on CD Rom.  I'm trying to install it on a Windows 7 PC.  I've got the program installed and running, however it comes with the Scenario Editor, but no option during game installation or instructions for installing the wscenedt.exe file.  Please help, Thanks.

#2 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:30 PM

HC97 installs wscenedt.exe by default, there is no way not to install it.

If you have a 64-bit version of Windows 7, the scenario editor won't run.  It is a 16-bit application and the 64-bit versions of Windows don't have 16-bit emulators (Win 7 x86 aka 32-bit will run the SE).  Virtualization is an option, or upgrade to the latest HC for a 32-bit scenario editor that runs in 64-bit versions of Windows.

See also the crossed out portions of http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.php?/topic/2449-hc-troubleshooting-starting-the-scenario-editor/ 

#3 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,600 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

Nothing crazy about still having your copy of HC97 (or earlier!). :D

#4 vplorre

vplorre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

Thank you for your responses.  I should clarify: the wscenedt.exe file runs, but with no indication it has access to the battlesets.  I don't know if this matters.

#5 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

That helps :). At the Select Battleset screen, click the Battlesets button and point it to the directory with all of the battlesets. If that doesn't work you might be in a position where Windows isn't recording the short filenames (remember 8.3 from the olden days...) for file system entries. Let us know please.

#6 vplorre

vplorre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:37 PM

Hooray!  That worked!  Now my only problem is how to associate an icon with it and make a desktop shortcut for it.  There are 2 icon files on the CD Rom, WNHARP & WNHARPO.  They weren't transferred to the hard drive, so the wscenedt.exe file has a "generic" representation.   When I drag and drop, then double click on it, it says it can't find 2 of the files.

#7 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

Let's see if we can do this with textual direction :)

Right-click the wscenedt.exe, left-click Copy. Right-click on a blank spot on the desktop then left-click Paste shortcut.

That gives a shortcut on the desktop, I usually rename them.

For the icon, right-click on your shiny new shortcut and left-click Properties.

Click Change Icon. You may get a message about no icons available, click OK if you do.

Then you will be presented with a new dialog showing some stock Windows icons, click the Browse button and locate your Winharp32.exe, click Open.

That will show you the 2? icons in the Winharp32.exe to choose from. If you dig hard enough you can probably find the black & white scenario editor icons somewhere on the CD. Or if it is that important to you to have the black and white ones instead of the game engine ones, let me know and I can e-mail them over.

Anyway, at this point you should have a Harpoon icon for the scenario editor shortcut on your desktop.

#8 vplorre

vplorre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:44 PM

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!  Everything works, I'm glad I found this forum!

#9 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,600 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!  Everything works, I'm glad I found this forum!

This is the home of Harpoon these days, so we are glad you found it too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users