After action report
I don't want to give too much away so this will be a sorta semi / mini AAR.
I like chokepoint scenarios. Geography makes for great scenario fodder, and the Bab-el-Mendab is one of the best places to create a story.
This scenario was both enjoyable and challenging!
A few lessons learned:
* STOVL fighters - even the stealthy F-35B - are at a notable disadvantage when facing modern shore based airpower
* coastal defences can be mean spirited
* be sure of your target - it may not what you think or even worth your time if it is
* UAVs are useful but they are vulnerable ... very vulnerable
* mines are also mean spirited
* in confined waters, there are many ways your opponents can make your presence uncomfortable
Minimum victory was achieved at 2:18:55 to go, at which point my group was about 125 nm SE of Aden, having finally made it through the 'gates of sorrow' and broken out into the open ocean, or, rather ... the Gulf of Aden.
Thank you rainman!