98 replies to this topic

#91 Silent Hunter UK

Silent Hunter UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

Well the article does state that due to the geography of Syria probably more than one batteries are necessary to cover Russian assets, if I understood correctly.

Yes and this is true of any place, not just Syria. Intervening terrain or the horizon will affect any radar detection and engagement, something that HCE unfortunately tends to gloss over.

Although ANW and Command don't, I believe?

#92 Palex80

Palex80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:07 AM

I initially thought that the S-400 deployment by the Russians as well as the basing of sophisticated air-superiority fighters in Syria was triggered by the shooting down of the Su-24 by the Turkish Air Force. 

The Russians wanted to make clear that they would not allow this to happen again.

I have read that the shoot-down of the Su-24 was ordered by Erdogan-opposing generals within the Turkish armed forces and actually caught Erdogan off-guard. After the coup rumors also emerged that it was the Russians that tipped off Erdogan about the commando raid coming to capture/kill him and apparently the people who were responsible for the Su-24 shoot-down were purged (the coup fraction was particulary strong with the TAF and it seems that many TAF officers were purged after the coup).

It is interesting that Erdogan apologized for the shoot-down only weeks before the coup took place and apparently investigations/arrests were going on at that time concerning the shoot-down in Turkey

https://www.theguard...ian-jet-turkish

http://foreignpolicy...perincek-gulen/

http://theduran.com/...dogan-may-true/

Since the coup Erdogan and Putin have been best buddies. Thus it is interesting that the Russians are reinforcing their SAM capabilities in Syria. Either they want to send a clear message to the US or they want to test it against US aircraft? Or are they afraid of something else, perhaps Israel intervening? The Syrian Army has received reinforcements/material by the Russians and one could speculate that the Israelis are worried about the Syrian Army (if the Assad regime survives) may get their hands on sophisticared Russian hardware when the whole mess is over? Perhaps advanced short range ballistic missiles, like the ones the Russians have also deployed to Syria? 

#93 Silent Hunter UK

Silent Hunter UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:04 AM

Don't think, once the F-35s are in play, that the Israelis will be overly worried about Syrian SAMs.

#94 Palex80

Palex80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

Good point, although the JSFs are probably not completely stealthy. It depends a lot on what kind of radar coverage the Russians are going to use.

The S-400 is quite a formidable weapon.

#95 Silent Hunter UK

Silent Hunter UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:33 AM

Nothing is completely stealthy. However, I strongly suspect, knowing the Israelis have mad skillz in that department, that the S-400 infrastructure would be hacked as part of any operation.

#96 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,600 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

Although ANW and Command don't, I believe?

I didn't spend any appreciable amount of time with ANW.

Early on with CMANO,I was being engaged by SAMs on the other side of intervening terrain, but I haven't played it in a while and I don't know if the issue was addressed.

It is interesting that Turkey is actually looking to acquire S-400 in the aftermath of the events in Syria.

#97 Silent Hunter UK

Silent Hunter UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:48 PM

Wouldn't the ability to engage on the other side of terrain partly be based on the position of the radar tracking you?

#98 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,600 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

Wouldn't the ability to engage on the other side of terrain partly be based on the position of the radar tracking you?

Certainly could, depending on the system in question. In this case, both the radar and the SAM were on the other side of intervening terrain (a mountain), but I was still engaged.

#99 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,600 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:28 AM

Russian, Syrian jets seen at eastern bases (Jane's)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users