File - GIUK - The Storozhevoy Mutiny, 8-9 November 1975. Historical scenario.

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&id=840

File Name: The Storozhevoy Mutiny, 8-9 November 1975. Historical scenario.

File Submitter: broncepulido

File Submitted: 31 Aug 2013

File Category: GIUK

The Storozhevoy Mutiny, 8-9 November 1975. Historical Scenario.

A Harpoon Commander's Edition scenario for the EC2003 Battle for GIUK Gap Battleset and the HCCW-130801 1950-1975 Cold War Platform Database.

Image: from Wikipedia Commons, his sister ship Legkiy in 1993. Description: Aerial starboard bow view of the Russian Northern Fleet Krivak I Class guided missile frigate Legkiy underway. Сторожевой корабль Лёгкий в Северной Атлантике, август 1993 года.

On November 8, 1975, the day after of the 58th anniversary of the October Revolution in Riga, now capital city of Latvia (the date divergence comes from the change from the old Russian calendar) , Captain Third Rank Valery Mikhailovich Sablin, son and grandson of naval officers, the political commissar of the modern Soviet ASW frigate Storozhevoy and a committed Communist, called the crew together and showed them Battleship Potemkin, Sergei Eisenstein's fiction film account of the 1905 naval mutiny in Odessa.

After the movie screening Sablin, inspired by the memory of the battleship Potemkin, and also by the presence of the near museum in Leningrad of the protected cruiser Aurora, which with her gunfire and crew had ignited the revolution of 1917, and for all his life in deeply disaccord with the current communism ruling the Soviet Union, decides to sail with the Storozhevoy to Leningrad, and broadcast a direct message to the Soviet people to start a new and pure revolution.

After a voting, crew members and officers in disagreement with his action were confined at the sonar room.

However, an officer escaped and radioed for assistance. The news reached the Kremlin and Leonid Brezhnev, who immediately issued an order to ^Bomb it and sink it^, even employing nuclear bombs if necessary.

The mutiny was masqueraded to the rest of the world as an attempt at defecting to the West. The course for Leningrad, which would lead the ship through the Swedish island of Gotland and Stockholm as the gulf of Riga is impassable to the North, closed by the islands of Saaremaa and Hiiumaa, gave the mistaken impression that Storozhevoy was heading to Sweden instead of Leningrad. Until the end of the Cold War, Western intelligence believed that the crew was going to defect. This story inspired US author Tom Clancy to write the 1984 novel ^The Hunt for Red October^, and as consequence in a late stage the own Harpoon system, but that is another history.

Unnamed places are:

ZTa: Minsk/Machulishchi Airport and Air Base -/UMLI.

Enrique Mas, August 2013.

Click here to download this file

Note: this scenario is full of GE issues, but is playable as test and little divertimento.

- The victory conditions are set and tested and are very easy: for the Red/USSR Government side to sunk the Storozhevoy frigate, end the mutiny and end the possibility of a new revolution. For the Blue/Mutineers side his goal is going near to Leningrad, shown his presence in the Gulf of Finland and into the Neva Delta near her revolutionary predecessor, the Aurora protected cruiser, and up rise the local population against the corrupt Communist government to establish a more pure Communist government.

- But the stated victory conditions don't work on this scenario, I remake the scenario two times from scratch, but with the same result. You can get the victory conditions on any of the sides, but the victory screens and messages are not triggered neither sinking the Krivak for the Red side, neither keeping the Krivak on station for two hours near Leningrad for the Blue side, you must imagine them triggered if you fulfil the easy victory conditions ....

- The Brewers are on formation patrol, looking for the Storozhevoy when you play the blue side, and of course detect she, but the AI don't attack the Storozhevoy. Same about the Tu-22KD Blinder-C, usually in the scenarios the AI automatically will take-off them and strike the Storozhevoy when detected, but this only happens in this scenario if they are armed with AS-4 Kitchen in a anti-surface loadout, not if they are loaded only with simple iron bombs! (I discovered it because I loaded the Blinders with iron bombs, a most probably loadout in this historical scenario, to avoid an AS-4 Kitchen going rogue and sinking a neutral ship). In other scenarios, the Tu-22KD or similar planes usually change his loadouts for an apropiate ship attack, take-off and attack and sink the enemy ship automatically. On this scenario, none of the expected AI comportments happens ... :(

• 2 weeks later...

At last returned from a few days "medieval trip" in France.

Testing the Mutiny 1975 scenario now with the 2009.095 build.

As expected, appreciable changes in the IA behaviour after the "untamming":

- Now the Yak-28B attack and bombing the Krivak.

- Now the Tu-22KD change the loadout from iron bombs to anti-ship missiles, and attack the Krivak.

Very difficult now the Storozhevoy survival, thanks Tony!.

Regretably, both sides can fullfil his victory conditions, but the victory Windows are not triggered ...

As expected, appreciable changes in the IA behaviour after the "untamming":

- Now the Yak-28B attack and bombing the Krivak.

- Now the Tu-22KD change the loadout from iron bombs to anti-ship missiles, and attack the Krivak.

Very difficult now the Storozhevoy survival, thanks Tony!.

Glad to hear it. It was rather 'uneventful', otherwise.

Enrique
I've just watched the Storozhevoy Mutiny episode of "True Legends" on Discovery, it made me click that I've seen this name somewhere already ... hmm ... it is so familiar but where? :unsure::wacko::blink:

But of course, Enrique's scenario!! :):D :D

Gonna need to load it at least, just I misplaced my historic db again.

BTW the episode depicted the end of the mutiny in a way that after a FAB bomb of a Brewer hit the rear deck of the Storozhevoy some seaman changed their mind (about dying for it) and let the Captain out of the sonar room. The Captain then confronted Sablin and shot him in the leg. (There was an interview with, I understand, one of the seamen.)

Also, not only the mutineers were discharged, but everyone, including the Captain and even those who originally alerted the shore.

Some links:

http://www.marxist.com/leninist-valery-sablin-red-october.htm

http://russiapedia.rt.com/on-this-day/november-8/

http://nvo.ng.ru/history/2004-08-20/6_bunt.HTML

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_frigate_Storozhevoy

And an Cold War academic thesis about the subjet:

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA118196&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

For me the most funny idea is the Soviet system covering with a fake history about deception to West the deals of a pure Marxist-Leninist oficial trying to restore the pure ideas of Marx!

In parallel, we can think about the bad USAF idea of covering the Mogul Project with fake covered crash landing of UFOs in 1947...

at last carnage for conspiranoics and pyramidiots ...

The books were the Pen&Sword book about the Tu-22 Blinder, and the Aerofax book about the Yak-2X variants.