Ground-Based Air Defence Systems to Protect Olympic Sites
(Source: UK Ministry of Defence; issued July 3, 2012)
The Government has today confirmed that ground-based air defence systems will be deployed at six sites in and around London for the duration of the 2012 Olympic Games.
The sites, and the specific systems to be deployed at them, are:
• Lexington Building, Fairfield Road, Bow, Tower Hamlets - High Velocity Missile
• Fred Wigg Tower, Montague Road Estate, Waltham Forest - High Velocity Missile
• Blackheath Common, Blackheath (Lewisham/Greenwich) - Rapier
• William Girling Reservoir, Lea Valley Reservoir Chain, Enfield - Rapier
• Oxleas Meadow, Shooters Hill, Greenwich/Woolwich - Rapier
• Barn Hill, Netherhouse Farm, Epping Forest - Rapier.