#1 Mgellis

Mgellis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Friends,

I'm working on some scenario ideas and got to thinking about something...

Let's say it's 1986 and off the coast of East Africa during some crisis and NATO and the Soviets send various ships into the area. Someone (maybe a trigger-happy American captain) starts shooting at a Soviet ship or sub that got too close and spooked him and...well, when the dust clear, five or six ships and subs have been sunk, but most of them are Soviet vessels. The Soviets are, as one might expect, boiling mad. Whatever the truth is, as far as they can tell, this was not their fault. Of course, the Americans don't want to take the blame, either. It's not a presidential election year, but it is a congressional one, and this kind of hands down failure of leadership could count for something in the next election. So neither side is budging on the diplomatic front.

So...what happens next? Neither side was actually planning on a war. The Soviets are mad enough to do something, but nothing like a nuclear attack. If anything, they want to pay the West back, with interest, and regain whatever national prestige they lost thanks to the shellacking they got off Kenya.

What might the Soviets do? If they thought they needed to sink something or blow something up to get even, what would they go after?

What would they do if it was a German destroyer that fired, rather than an American one? Or a British destroyer? Or a non-NATO ally, like Japan?

Any thoughts on all this?

#2 JSF

JSF

Advanced Member

• HUD3
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

Mark,

Friends,

I'm working on some scenario ideas and got to thinking about something...

Let's say it's 1986 and off the coast of East Africa during some crisis and NATO and the Soviets send various ships into the area. Someone (maybe a trigger-happy American captain) starts shooting at a Soviet ship or sub that got too close and spooked him and...well, when the dust clear, five or six ships and subs have been sunk, but most of them are Soviet vessels. The Soviets are, as one might expect, boiling mad. Whatever the truth is, as far as they can tell, this was not their fault. Of course, the Americans don't want to take the blame, either. It's not a presidential election year, but it is a congressional one, and this kind of hands down failure of leadership could count for something in the next election. So neither side is budging on the diplomatic front.

So...what happens next? Neither side was actually planning on a war. The Soviets are mad enough to do something, but nothing like a nuclear attack. If anything, they want to pay the West back, with interest, and regain whatever national prestige they lost thanks to the shellacking they got off Kenya.

What might the Soviets do? If they thought they needed to sink something or blow something up to get even, what would they go after?

What would they do if it was a German destroyer that fired, rather than an American one? Or a British destroyer? Or a non-NATO ally, like Japan?

Any thoughts on all this?

Interesting plot. Reminds me a little of Barrett Tilmanīs #The Sixth Battle#, one of my favourite books when it comes to Naval Warfare in an Cold war environment. I think, though, back in 1986, there would had been no German destroyer in the area. Same with Japan. Better use the Royal Navy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users