Logo

Photo

Scenario Editor Use/Workstream with VMLite?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AJ Heredia

AJ Heredia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hi Folks,

Apologies for the cross-posting - I put this up at the MatrixGames forum, it was getting a lot of hits but no replies. guess all the action is now with HUE. In any case...

It's been a while - I finally upgraded to a Win64 machine, only to realize afterwards that I don't have XP Mode (Home "Premium" - what exactly is premium about it???). Anyways, I'd like to continue running the HCE editor - I saw the guides here on using XPMode that comes with Pro, Ultimate, etc. Can anyone confirm that VMLite will do the same thing? Other options I haven't heard of? Appreciate the guidance.

Thanks,

-Armando

#2 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

I've used the SE with VMWare previously.

I'm not familiar with VMLite, but it sounds like it might be worth investigating as an option for you.

Tony would likely know more about VMLite.

#3 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

I also have not used VMLite, being a VMWare fan. I did take a look at the site though and see no reason VMLite would not work for you. Why would you want to pay $200 to do that though when you can do the in-place upgrade of Windows 7 Premium to Windows 7 Professional for less than half that amount? If you are somehow using VMLite bringing your own XP license I can understand that but otherwise it doesn't make much sense to me. If you are bringing your own license I would suggest VMWare Player instead of VMLite since VMWare Player will be easier for you to get support from us. Brad uses VMWare Player and I use the full workstatation product.

I assume you took a look at the little piece I wrote, http://harpgamer.com...showtopic=17144

Let us know how you fare!

#4 AJ Heredia

AJ Heredia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hi Tony and Brad,

Thanks for looking. Yes, I found a legal way of using VMLite to install a fully licensed version of XP within the sandbox. I could be wrong, but I think VMLite also is free for personal use, but limited to 2 VM instances? I was able to get through most of the configuration last night in between KP duties. :) Now to figure out Shared Folders between the host and the VM - presumably I point to the HCE Editor executable and away I go. We shall see. I'll update this thread with my progress.

-Armando

I also have not used VMLite, being a VMWare fan. I did take a look at the site though and see no reason VMLite would not work for you. Why would you want to pay $200 to do that though when you can do the in-place upgrade of Windows 7 Premium to Windows 7 Professional for less than half that amount? If you are somehow using VMLite bringing your own XP license I can understand that but otherwise it doesn't make much sense to me. If you are bringing your own license I would suggest VMWare Player instead of VMLite since VMWare Player will be easier for you to get support from us. Brad uses VMWare Player and I use the full workstatation product.

I assume you took a look at the little piece I wrote, http://harpgamer.com...showtopic=17144

Let us know how you fare!

#5 AJ Heredia

AJ Heredia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Okay - got it working - took a little bit of work, mostly due to my unfamiliarity with working with files on Host Versus the VM. I ended up having to map an extra "drive" to the Host C:\Games\HCE\ subdirectory. Now trying to build a base scenario (again - I'm rusty as heck!). Seems a bit sluggish, so I may need to up the RAM allocation to the VM - it's currently running a paltry 512MB.

#6 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Okay - got it working - took a little bit of work, mostly due to my unfamiliarity with working with files on Host Versus the VM. I ended up having to map an extra "drive" to the Host C:\Games\HCE\ subdirectory. Now trying to build a base scenario (again - I'm rusty as heck!). Seems a bit sluggish, so I may need to up the RAM allocation to the VM - it's currently running a paltry 512MB.

Fantastic, thanks for reporting back!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users