Logo

Photo

Funding HarpGamer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Funding HarpGamer

I would avoid HarpGamer if it had advertising

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

I would avoid HarpGamer if it had a donation button

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

I would contribute annually to HarpGamer

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

HarpGamer was founded early in 2005 by four of us Harpooners on $4/month hosting using commercial forum software. The hosting and software costs were split between the four of us equally. Labor costs for backups have been shouldered by my company and in the last few years in part by those of us still contributing financially. The number of financial contributors has decreased to two since 2005.

Our current service costs are US $265 per year and we expect that to increase as our forum continues to grow and require more processing power and more sophisticated backup schemes. That number does not include reasonable renumeration for the labor to execute backups and site maintenance.

To that end we're wondering what you are willing to contribute besides your visits to the site and the posts that you make? We've crafted a few questions in the poll but are very interested in hearing suggestions and trying to answer any questions you have.

Services for which we have a desire and no funding:
  • Graphic Design for the upgrade to newer forum software
  • PHP/MySQL development
    • Migrating Issue Tracking database & customization to newer forum software
    • Developing new services based on the Downloads area (creating an XML feed for the HC Launcher, enabling seemless download of battlesets, databases, and scenarios)
    • Developing new services based on the database requests (to enable a client application that shows the Harpoon database designer a more useable list of requests as well as change the status of requests)
    • Developing new services to aid in HC gameplay information sharing such as scenario results, weapons expenditure lists, etc.
  • Creation of a Facebook presence
  • Creation of a Twitter presence

What I do know is that HarpGamer isn't going away anytime soon no matter the outcome of this discussion.

#2 broncepulido

broncepulido

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

I've voted, but you can depend on my anyway.

#3 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Thanks guys though I'll ask for more votes and fewer drive-bys :) .

In case you missed the subtle hint, we'll welcome non-monetary help with the laundry list of services enumerated that I can do but that take away from my Harpoon coding & support time.

#4 JSF

JSF

Advanced Member

• HUD3
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:31 AM

Hi Tony,

of course IŽll support you with some Money and trying to help and test in the H3 / ANW section; voted, too.

Go on with the good work.

#5 broncepulido

broncepulido

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Ok, understood, I will think on the FB and Twitter presence. Only a pair of months ago I've created my FB page, but I've not idea about creation of Twitter pages , but I can learn it , I suposse ....

#6 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

With the poll results as a factor, Brad and I chatted last night to form our plan of action.

We'll be adding a donation button but will not be adding advertising at this time.

The poll indicates advertising would be surprisingly well received and that a donation button should have little negative impact. That was encouraging but didn't change our opinion that we don't want to solicit funds until and unless we need to. Thankfully Brad and I are each currently in a position to be able to fund the site at a level beyond subsistence. We're also okay with the level of funds we are contributing and don't feel it is an excessive burden on our budgets and as such is not souring our Harpoon experience.

There is zero expectation that anyone contribute money and for now I'll go so far as to say I discourage those of you posting on a daily/weekly/monthly basis from contributing money. Please do continue to contribute your thoughts, scenarios, databases, and other hard work!

#7 broncepulido

broncepulido

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Thanks Brad and Tony by the overall and decisive effort! :)

#8 Rob R

Rob R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

donate button? Will it be pay pall? I want to donate the extra money I have in my pay pall account after buying Harpoon Ultamate Edition today.... :( I also have a few $$ on a visa gift card you can have!

Also, I have "some" experience with MySQL and PHP development and have been programming for 25+ years.... I can usually figure out most of what I don't know without too much trouble. So, I can help with any programming you might need done. I haven't played Harpoon (computer) since about a year after the Harpoon II Delux Edition came out and I haven't played Harpoon (paper) since probably 1999. I've had the bug just not the time! Now I have the time and I'm feeding the bug before he dies.

#9 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,201 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

donate button? Will it be pay pall? I want to donate the extra money I have in my pay pall account after buying Harpoon Ultamate Edition today.... :( I also have a few $$ on a visa gift card you can have! Also, I have "some" experience with MySQL and PHP development and have been programming for 25+ years.... I can usually figure out most of what I don't know without too much trouble. So, I can help with any programming you might need done. I haven't played Harpoon (computer) since about a year after the Harpoon II Delux Edition came out and I haven't played Harpoon (paper) since probably 1999. I've had the bug just not the time! Now I have the time and I'm feeding the bug before he dies.

Rob, we haven't finalized the details of how it might work just yet, but hopefully you're still eager to help out once we do. :D

Truthfully, your programming skills and free time are considerably more valuable than any donation. Please send a PM to Tony, as I'm sure he would like to talk to you about it. B)

#10 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

donate button? Will it be pay pall? I want to donate the extra money I have in my pay pall account after buying Harpoon Ultamate Edition today.... :( I also have a few $$ on a visa gift card you can have!

Also, I have "some" experience with MySQL and PHP development and have been programming for 25+ years.... I can usually figure out most of what I don't know without too much trouble. So, I can help with any programming you might need done. I haven't played Harpoon (computer) since about a year after the Harpoon II Delux Edition came out and I haven't played Harpoon (paper) since probably 1999. I've had the bug just not the time! Now I have the time and I'm feeding the bug before he dies.

Welcome back to the game Rob! Are you a HC player or a H3 player (or both?). If you are an HC player please post a wishlist at http://harpgamer.com...hp?showforum=35 . That will help narrow down where to make use of your talents. If you are an H3 player maybe we take a look at some of that PHP+MySQL. Any experience modding/customizing Invision Power Board (our forum, a PHP+MySQL beast)?

Donate button will almost certainly be paypal but ditto on what Brad said, if you get interested in the programming spend the spare bucks on tools/books/Mt Dew for that. B)

#11 jay_beta

jay_beta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

:D Tony and everyone....

While I may not have as much time as I once had (house is literally fashioned after the movie the Money Pitt w/ Shelley Long), you can count on me for a minimum of $20 a year. I do still play the game for 20 plus hours a month making up some monster scenarios...some realistic some just WOW. But I am still addicted/hooked!! And if anyone has a new database where you have created new ships / planes / subs etc... please share!! I love playing with the Ed Adner class aircraft carrier!!
Cheers -

Jay McMullan
USN Ret.

Be standing by waiting to see how we're gonna fund it (paypal or whatever).

#12 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thanks Jay! I've had a severe case of 'real life' but after passing a big test yesterday morning May will be more flexible before summer insanity hits. The mechanism will be PayPal and I aim to get it in place before Monday.

#13 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

With no further delay, see the Donate button on the portal page. All funds will be used to keep HarpGamer running and to improve the site and services offered. Funds will not be used to buy me lunch B) .

#14 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:01 PM

Donate button added to the bottom of each page as well. Thanks for your support in whatever form it comes!

#15 donaldseadog

donaldseadog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

With no further delay, see the Donate button on the portal page. All funds will be used to keep HarpGamer running and to improve the site and services offered. Funds will not be used to buy me lunch B) .

but letting you starve won't help much:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users