Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,018 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

From Defense Aerospace

[excerpt]

HMCS Victoria Conducts Diving Operations Off the Coast of Vancouver Island
(Source: Canadian Department of National Defence; issued February 20, 2012)

OTTAWA --- Her Majesty’s Canadian Submarine (HMCS) Victoria conducted diving operations today in the local waters near Victoria, B.C. Today’s dive was witnessed by General Walt Natynczyk, Chief of the Defence Staff, and Vice-Admiral Paul Maddison, Commander, Royal Canadian Navy. ...

Posted Image

#2 broncepulido

broncepulido

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

I've read some articles the last days about the topic, and the situation is clearly very sad ... :(

#3 eclipse_trb

eclipse_trb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

5 and 6 years in dock? Were they rebuilding everything

#4 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,018 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

There's little doubt that they will have spent much more time in dry dock or undergoing maintenance than they will have spent at sea, even by the time their service lives are spent.

By most all accounts, they were in much worse shape than we were led to believe. <_<

#5 harikaridog

harikaridog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

There's little doubt that they will have spent much more time in dry dock or undergoing maintenance than they will have spent at sea, even by the time their service lives are spent.

By most all accounts, they were in much worse shape than we were led to believe. <_<

I know there were a few scary incidents when these boats were in RN service, is there any indication that the boats were essentially flawed...or are the problems due to amount of time they were laid up before being sold to Canada.

Roger

#6 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,018 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

I know there were a few scary incidents when these boats were in RN service, is there any indication that the boats were essentially flawed...or are the problems due to amount of time they were laid up before being sold to Canada.

I think the consensus is the latter. And, to be fair, we were our own worst enemies in this regard because the political thumb twiddling went on forever while we tried to decide whether or not to acquire them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users