• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EGAA CAP

EGAA CAP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:08 AM

I received a copy of Commander's Edition a while ago after having waxed lyrical to the other half about how much I used to love Harpoon.

It languished on a shelf for a while as I'm now entirely Linux based and haven't had a great deal of success in the past with games under WINE.

However, after giving it a rattle it's surprisingly playable, there are a few little graphic niggles most of which are only a vague annoyance. There's one though that makes some (larger) scenarios a tad difficult.

The unit icons appear on black squares making the unit window and the group window on the bigger scenarios a bit difficult to navigate, it's as though the icons were on a square the background of which should be transparent but is represented in black under WINE.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered the issue, and more to the point... Has a solution.

#2 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

I have had the issue and have no solution. What little research I did indicated that the blitting method called does not exist in WINE (just a stub) so the icons would have to be drawn a different way and I did not get into that at all. There are a few other Linux devotees around these parts, perhaps someone has had more success or more recent experience?

Oh, and welcome back!

#3 TeTeT

TeTeT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

I played Harpoon last year for a while under Wine, but I found that it was a rather sluggish experience. Somehow everything seems to move more slowly than under native Windows. On the graphics glitches, I don't remember having fixed anything ... An alternative might be to use some old copy of Windows XP in a virtual machine under Linux. I haven't tested that though, but I found that a XP machine with VirtualBox under Windows7 performs very well for running the scenario editor and doing some testing.

#4 Mgellis

Mgellis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Just curious...

How well does the Scenario Editor for HCE run using Wine? I ask because I have a 64-bit window version of Windows 7, which I like quite a bit, but it does not run 16-bit programs like the SE.

If the SE will run under Wine, I can do a disk boot of Ubuntu, run Wine, and then run the SE. I have 8 gigabytes of RAM, so my machine should be able to handle this. It will be rather sluggish, I imagine, but since it is the EDITOR, that probably will not matter very much. I can run the actual scenario in HCE under Windows 7.

Anyway, if anyone has experience with the SE under Wine, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

(Crossing my fingers that a solution to one of my few Harpoon problems may be looming on the horizon...looking forward to finally trying out the newest version of the HCDB...)

Mark

#5 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Just curious...

How well does the Scenario Editor for HCE run using Wine?

For me it works quite well as long as you don't try to use EC2003 or newer battlesets. So overall that means not well at all.

Have you considered virtualization lately?
http://harpgamer.com...mp;showfile=718

Or picking up a dinosaur of a computer on the cheap for the SE.

#6 Mgellis

Mgellis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

Just curious...

How well does the Scenario Editor for HCE run using Wine?

For me it works quite well as long as you don't try to use EC2003 or newer battlesets. So overall that means not well at all.

Have you considered virtualization lately?
http://harpgamer.com...mp;showfile=718

Or picking up a dinosaur of a computer on the cheap for the SE.

On an initial test, I got it to work with the regular 2003 battlesets and even the Westpac one, but not the extra ones like Africa. I'll play around with it a bit more, and post the results, but I'm optimistic that I can get it to work at least part-way. (I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 and Wine 1.4). Even if I can only use the old standard four maps, being able to use the newest HCDB will be a real victory for me as I have been struggling with the 16-bit SE issue for a long time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users