• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 turbocuervo

turbocuervo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:19 AM

Harpoon was one of the first games that I can truly say I was addicted to. I recently went from PC to Mac, and I am pleased to see there is a MAC version of this game. Before I invest in it, I need to know, does it run on OS X Lion?

#2 TonyE

TonyE

Advanced Member

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:21 PM

Harpoon was one of the first games that I can truly say I was addicted to. I recently went from PC to Mac, and I am pleased to see there is a MAC version of this game. Before I invest in it, I need to know, does it run on OS X Lion?

The Harpoon 3 Mac version has not been updated in a long time and there are no plans to bring it up to date. I expect it will run on Lion but I have not tested it. You might try contacting Don Gilman aka Uncle Harpoon . Make sure to post back your findings!

#3 noxious

noxious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

The Harpoon 3 Mac version has not been updated in a long time and there are no plans to bring it up to date. I expect it will run on Lion but I have not tested it. You might try contacting Don Gilman aka Uncle Harpoon . Make sure to post back your findings!

Also, since Macs now run on Intel hardware (and iirc, Lion dropped support for PPC cpus), you can either run a Virtual Machine running Windows at more than decent performance for either Harpoon games (and other PC games, depending on your hardware), or even dual boot into a windows partition if you're tech savy and get native performance from your Mac, through bootcamp and iirc, possibly other dual booting solutions.
That will allow you to play the latest and greatest in both versions of Harpoon (ANW and Commander's Edition), and thus have access to the latest DBs and scenarios :)

Come to think of it, doesn't one of the regulars here already do that ? If that's the case, share your experience and help the new guy.
Cheers !!

#4 turbocuervo

turbocuervo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

Also, since Macs now run on Intel hardware (and iirc, Lion dropped support for PPC cpus), you can either run a Virtual Machine running Windows at more than decent performance for either Harpoon games (and other PC games, depending on your hardware), or even dual boot into a windows partition if you're tech savy and get native performance from your Mac, through bootcamp and iirc, possibly other dual booting solutions.
That will allow you to play the latest and greatest in both versions of Harpoon (ANW and Commander's Edition), and thus have access to the latest DBs and scenarios :)

Come to think of it, doesn't one of the regulars here already do that ? If that's the case, share your experience and help the new guy.
Cheers !!

I appreciate the reply, I will try this. Some PC games seem to work, while others don't, curiously, when I attempted to install SPORE from DVD, which says MAC or PC, it refuses to work...

#5 mavfin

mavfin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, I have VMWare Fusion, and I just run Harpoon in an XP VM under that. I have a Win 7 Bootcamp Partition, too, but that's 64-bit, so the old XP VM is better for Harpoon.
Works great.

The old Mac Harpoon doesn't work for me, crashes pretty fast. The even older Mac Harpoon Classic doesn't work under Lion, because all PPC support (Rosetta) is gone, too.

And, BTW, Spore may be the old PPC code, so it won't work on Lion, either. What I did for some older games like that was set up a 10.6 version system on my 2nd hard drive to boot into when I needed one of those. Lion is where they made the break completely with the old PPC code.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users