• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ScottoT

ScottoT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:57 AM

Yesterday on TV, I saw a documentary about the Al-Basrah Oil Terminal off the coast of Iraq.

Has anyone designed or considered designing a scenario regarding this current situation?

And is it even possible?

Just being honest, I don't know about the databases to know if there is a way to create the sort of situation that forces in the Gulf are currently facing.

Obviously, some sort of civilian airplane attack on the Terminal is not possible, with no civilian type airplanes in the database.

Are there any ships that can be created that would be able to try and attack the terminal?

The defending forces while centering on a CBG, the primary defenses were "brown water" Frigates, and Destroyers of the US, Australian, United Kingdom navies, along with patrol craft from Iraq and other gulf nations.

#2 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

Yesterday on TV, I saw a documentary about the Al-Basrah Oil Terminal off the coast of Iraq. Has anyone designed or considered designing a scenario regarding this current situation? And is it even possible?

Can you provide more details of what exactly you hope to portray?

Just being honest, I don't know about the databases to know if there is a way to create the sort of situation that forces in the Gulf are currently facing. Obviously, some sort of civilian airplane attack on the Terminal is not possible, with no civilian type airplanes in the database.

There are civilian aircraft in the database, but nothing that would try and carry out an attack.

Are there any ships that can be created that would be able to try and attack the terminal?

How do you want them to attack? Gun fire? Missiles?

#3 ScottoT

ScottoT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

Brad,

What I was thinking of, was some sort of scenario in which victory for the attackers gets them within .5 nm of the Terminal, as a victory condition. The premise being that then the plane/ship would detonate explosives on board creating a massive conflagration. Obviously there is no way to simulate that sort of victory condition in Harpoon that I am aware of.

The attacking forces would use some sort of civilian aircraft (Cessna plane) or Fishing vessel (Dhow??) with explosives onboard to "trigger" the attack.

In the scenario I am envisioning, numerous vessles would be present in the area, most of them innocent civilian type craft, conducting their own routine traffic in the vicinity of the Oil Terminal. Fishing, transporting goods, etc etc. Many would come on some sort of course that would trigger some sort of alert by the defenders, but none would be following a plotted course to get within the "defensive barrier"...except for 1 plane or ship that bears down directly on a line towards the terminal.

As I have said, I am not certain that it would be possible to even put this sort of a scenario in place.

There are people like yourself that are much more familiar with Harpoon that could answer the question.

Scott

#4 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

Brad, What I was thinking of, was some sort of scenario in which victory for the attackers gets them within .5 nm of the Terminal, as a victory condition. The premise being that then the plane/ship would detonate explosives on board creating a massive conflagration. Obviously there is no way to simulate that sort of victory condition in Harpoon that I am aware of.

It is possible to create a victory condition that uses enemy 'time on station' (i.e. time spent in the vicinity of an objective) and of course, also possible to create a victory condition that involves the destruction of a player controlled installation.

The attacking forces would use some sort of civilian aircraft (Cessna plane) or Fishing vessel (Dhow??) with explosives onboard to "trigger" the attack.

Yep, this is possible. We created the ability to use 'suicide' weapons that destroy their launching platform in order to model kamikaze aircraft for WWII era scenarios. No reason why I could not do the same in the HCDB.

Other non-warship options for you, already present in the database, are pirate dhow, pirate launch and the merchant that carries a 'suitcase nuke'.

In the scenario I am envisioning, numerous vessles would be present in the area, most of them innocent civilian type craft, conducting their own routine traffic in the vicinity of the Oil Terminal. Fishing, transporting goods, etc etc. Many would come on some sort of course that would trigger some sort of alert by the defenders, but none would be following a plotted course to get within the "defensive barrier"...except for 1 plane or ship that bears down directly on a line towards the terminal. As I have said, I am not certain that it would be possible to even put this sort of a scenario in place.

Yes, you can do this. You can add all sorts of 'traffic' (including neutrals and opposing forces that aren't overtly hostile, e.g. a Red Cessna) to complicate the plot. And throw your hostile in there to carry out its mission.

#5 ScottoT

ScottoT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:13 PM

I can not find an oil platform to be used as a "base" which will be the target for this scenario. Is this something that I will have to manually create and insert into a Database?

#6 CV32

CV32

Administrator

• Staff Pukes
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,404 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 02:17 PM

I can not find an oil platform to be used as a "base" which will be the target for this scenario. Is this something that I will have to manually create and insert into a Database?

Try 'Oil Rig' under the 'INTL' (International) entries. B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users